Ultraviolet Prophylaxis of Adverse Effects of Environmental Chemicals on Organisms
The use of UVB radiation as a treatment for different adverse effects caused by environmental factors is widely recognized in photobiology and medicine. Prophylactic UV irradiation of the poppulation is used most extensively in those areas where there is a deficit of UV radiation during most of the months of the year. Approximate calculations show that about 10 % of the entire population live under such conditions. These data clearly indicate the importance and the necessity of UV irradiation of the population as a prophylactic measure, particularly when one takes into consideration that a prolonged deficit of UV radiation produces a number of unfavorable effects in the body, including rickets in children and a depression of body resistance in adults. As a result of the latter state the probability that different diseases will develop is increased (1, 2, 3).
KeywordsProphylactic Effect Postnatal Development Industrial Town Erythemal Dose Tetraethyl Lead
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dancing, N.M., The hygienic basis for preventing light star vation among ship’s crews, in : The Biological Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation, 1975, Nauka, 168Google Scholar
- 2.Galanin, N. F. and Pivkin, V.M., 1971, The rational utilization of the sun’s radiant energy with a view to preventing ultraviolet deficiency, in : Ultraviolet Radiation, Medicina,209Google Scholar
- 3.Petrova, N. N., 1971, Study of ultraviolet deficiency in persons living at different latitudes in Western Siberia in springtime,in : Ultraviolet Radiation, Medicina, 244Google Scholar
- 4.Graceva, I. P., Bagrov, E. W. and Mandyc, L. F., 1975, Losses of incident UV radiation due to industrial pollution of the atmosphere, Gig, i. Sanit. , 9:20Google Scholar
- 5.Koskin, M. L., The ultraviolet irradiation of premises as a problem of hygiene, in : Ultraviolet Radiation and Hygiene, Academy of Medical Sciences of the U. S. S. R., Moscow, 81Google Scholar
- 6.Dancig, N. M., Gorkin, Z.D. and Galanin, N. F., 1966, Pro phylactic ultraviolet irradiation, in : Ultraviolet Radiation, Medicina, 208Google Scholar
- 7.Gabovic, R. P., Mihaljnk, I. A. and Motuzkov, I. N., 1975, The combined effect on the organism of chemical factors in the environment and various schedules of UV irradiation, in : The Biologic Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation, Nauka, 142 .Google Scholar