Component Estimation under Uncertainty
- 106 Downloads
A procedure is outlined for estimating unknown proportions of mixtures of mineralogic components in porous sedimentary rocks in situations where the number of components exceeds the number of measured rock properties on which estimates are to be based. A probabilistic approach is proposed in which a prior probability distribution is imposed on values taken on by the set of components and optimal estimates are obtained by maximizing the conditional probability defined for those values which are consistant with the given information. The introduction of prior probability distributions to the problem of component estimation under uncertainty offers a new direction in formation evaluation.
KeywordsComponent Estimation Prior Probability Distribution Basic Feasible Solution Triangular Diagram Well Logging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burke, J. A., Campbell, R. L., Jr., and Schmidt, A. W., 1969, The litho-porosity cross plot: SPWLA Tenth Ann. Logging Symposium, 29 p.Google Scholar
- Burke, J. A., Curtis, M. R., and Cox, J. T., 1967, Computer processing of log data improves production in Chaveroo Field: Jour. Petroleum Tech., v. 19, p. 889–895.Google Scholar
- Dawson-Grove, G. E., and Palmer, K. R., 1968, A practical approach to analysis of logs by computer: Second Formation Evaluation Symposium, Canadian Well Logging Society, 10 p.Google Scholar
- Evans, H. B., and Pickett, G. R., 1969, Formation evaluation: status and developments: AIME, Preprint SPE 2743, 30 p.Google Scholar
- Hadley, G., 1962, Linear programming: Addison-Wesley Publ. Co., Reading, Massachusetts, 520 p.Google Scholar
- Harris, M. H., and McCammon, R. B., 1969, A computer oriented generalized porosity-lithology interpretation of neutron, density, and sonic logs: AIME, Preprint SPE 2528, 16 p.Google Scholar
- Harvey, R. D., 1967, Thermal expansion of certain Illinois limestones and dolomites: Illinois State Geological Survey Circ. 415, 33 p.Google Scholar
- Saure, W. C., 1963, Determination of a more accurate porosity and mineral composition in complex lithologies with the use of the sonic, neutron, and density surveys: Jour. Petroleum Tech., v. 15, p. 945–959.Google Scholar
- Schmitt, S. A., 1969, Measuring uncertainty - an elementary introduction to Bayesian statistics: Addison-Wesley Publ. Co., Reading, Massachusetts, 400 p.Google Scholar