Regulatory Factors in Ketogenesis and in the Metabolism of Triglycerides by Liver
The physiological and biochemical mechanisms by which the intact animal regulates its metabolism of lipids and the role of the liver in the control of blood lipids has long been a topic of interest in this laboratory. Our approach to the problem has been the examination of the uptake, metabolism, and release of the serum lipids and lipoproteins by the isolated, perfused rat liver. Our attention has been focused for some time on the various factors regulating the output and accumulation of triglyceride by the liver. It is now evident that a variety of hormones influence the hepatic metabolism of triglycerides. On the following pages is a brief discussion of some of the recent work from this laboratory on lipid metabolism in insulin deficiency (induced by alloxan diabetes), (2) on the effects of glucagon and insulin on hepatic triglyceride metabolism, and (3) on the modulating effects of substrate concentration (free fatty acids) on these processes. In order to present a coherent picture of the current status of the work, it will be useful to recount some of the earlier findings.
KeywordsFree Fatty Acid Oleic Acid Cholesteryl Ester Ketone Body Perfuse Liver
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heimberg, M., Dunkerley, A., and Brown, T. O. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 125:252 (1966)Google Scholar
- 8.Van Handel, E. and Zilversmit, D. B. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 50:152 (1957)Google Scholar
- 11.King, E. J. Biochem. J. 26:293 (1932).Google Scholar
- 13.Chernick, S.S. In: F. W. Sunderman and F. W. Sunderman Jr. (Editors), “Measurements of Exocrine and Endocrine Function of the Pancreas” J. B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1961, p. 144Google Scholar
- 15.Spitzer, J. J. and McElroy, W. T. Am. J. Physiol. 199:876 (1960)Google Scholar
- 21.Havel, R. J., Felts, J. M. and Van Duyne, C. M. J. Lipid Res. 3:297 (1962)Google Scholar
- 23.Berthet, J. Proc. 4th Intl. Cong. Biochem., Vienna 15:107 (1958)Google Scholar
- 29.Mortimore, G. E. Am. J. Physiol. 204:699 (1963)Google Scholar
- 33.Wieland, O., Loffler, G., Weiss, L. and Neufeldt, I. Biochem. Zeit. 333:10 (1960)Google Scholar
- 34.Segal, H. L. and Menon, G. K. K. J. Biol. Chem. 236:2872 (1961)Google Scholar