Computer-Controlled Delivery of 3D Conformal Radiation Treatments
- 91 Downloads
The ability of radiation therapy to cure cancer depends in part on its capacity to completely eradicate the localized disease without causing severe normal tissue injury. There is evidence that the escalation of dose targeted at the tumor would lead to an increase in local control and consequently to an improvement in survival. However, current levels of dose are limited by the tolerances of intervening normal tissues. Three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy (3D CRT) is now widely accepted as an important means of achieving higher tumor dose without concomitant increases in normal tissue doses.
KeywordsDose Distribution Monitor Unit Electronic Portal Imaging Device Multileaf Collimator Gantry Angle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Mohan R. 1990. Secondary field shaping, asymmetrical collimators and Multileaf Collimators. Woodbury, NY: American Institute of Physics, Proceedings of AAPM Summer School, Kansas University, Lawrence, Kansas, pp. 307–345.Google Scholar
- 6.Chui CS, Mohan R. 1993. Algorithms for dynamic jaws and multi-leaf collimators, II — Fluence distribution (abstr). Med Phys 20:885.Google Scholar
- 20.Mackie TR, Holmes TW, Reckwerdt PJ, Yang J, Swerdloff S, Deasy JO, DeLuca PM Jr, Paliwal BR, Kinsella TJ. Tomotherapy: A proposal for a dedicated computer-controlled delivery and verification system for conformai radiotherapy. (Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK, Proceedings of XIth.)Google Scholar
- 23.Burman C, Armstrong J, Brewster L, Leibel S, Mohan R, Fuks Z, Kutcher GJ. 1993. Dose distribution comparison for multi-leaf collimator and cerrobend shaped fields for 3-dimensional lung plans (abstr). Med Phys 20: 925–925.Google Scholar
- 24.Burman C, Leibel SA, Mohan R, Kutcher GJ, Fuks Z. 1994. Comparison of dose distributions for 3D brain plans with cerrobend and multi-leaf collimators (abstr). Med Phys 21:885.Google Scholar
- 25.Shentall GS, Crockford DJ, Fernandes EM, Mayles WPM. 1993. The application of a multileaf collimator to conformai therapy. Proceedings of ESTRO Physics Meeting, Prague, Czechoslovakia, p. 99.Google Scholar
- 27.Mohan R, Wu Q, Wang X-H, Stein J. 1996. Intensity modulation optimization, lateral transport of radiation and margins. Med Phys, in press.Google Scholar
- 28.Mageras GS, Fuks Z, O’Brien J, Brewster LJ, Burman C, Chui CS, Leibel SA, Ling CC, Masterson ME, Mohan R, Kutcher GJ. 1994. Initial clinical experience with computer-controlled conformai radiotherapy of the prostate using a 50-MeV medical microtron. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 30:971–978.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar