Formalising the UML in Structured Temporal Theories
In this chapter we describe a possible semantics for a large part of the Unified Modelling Notation (UML), using structured theories in a simple temporal logic. This semantic representation is suitable for modular reasoning about UML models. We show how it can be used to clarify certain ambiguous cases of UML semantics, and how to justify enhancement or refinement transformations on UML models.
KeywordsSemantic Representation Sequence Diagram Interaction Diagram Guard Condition Collaboration Diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AW96]C Atkinson and M Weisskopf. An approach to process description using FUSION. In Object-oriented Development at Work: The FUSION Method in the Real World. Prentice Hall, 1996.Google Scholar
- [BLM97]J C Bicarregui, K C Lano, and T S E Maibaum. Objects, associations and subsystems: a hierarchical approach to encapsulation. In ECOOP 97, LNCS. Springer-Verlag, 1997.Google Scholar
- [CABDGHJ94]D Coleman, P Arnold, S Bodoff, C Dollin, H Gilchrist, F Hayes, and P Jeremaes. Object-oriented Development: The FUSION Method. Prentice Hall Object-oriented Series, 1994.Google Scholar
- [CD94]S Cook and J Daniels. Designing Object Systems: Object-Oriented Modelling with Syntropy. Prentice Hall, September 1994.Google Scholar
- [R97]Rational Software et al. UML documentation set version 1.1, http://www.rational.com/uml, 1997.
- [EFLR98]A Evans, R France, K Lano, and B Rumpe. The UML as a formal modelling notation, 1998.Google Scholar
- [GR98]M Gogolla and M Richters. Equivalence rules for UML class diagrams. In UML 98, 1998.Google Scholar
- [L97]K Lano. Transformations on syntropy and UML models, 1997. Technical Report, “Formal Underpinnings for Object Technology“ project, Dept. of Computing, Imperial College.Google Scholar
- [LB98]K Lano and J Bicarregui. UML refinement and abstraction transformations. In ROOM 2 Workshop. Bradford University, 1998.Google Scholar
- [LE99]K Lano and A Evans. Verification of uml models, 1999. Technical Report, “Formal Underpinnings for Object Technology” project, Dept. of Computing, Imperial College.Google Scholar
- [S92]M Spivey. The Z Notation: A Reference Manual. Prentice Hall, 1992.Google Scholar
- [WJS93]R Wieringa, W de Jonge, and P Spruit. Roles and dynamic subclasses: A model logic approach. Technical report, IS-CORE report, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, 1993.Google Scholar