Clinical Impact of Antibiotic Resistance
The development of antimicrobial agents for clinical use has brought unquestionable benefits to individuals and to society. Infections that formerly were frequently fatal have become routinely curable. Furthermore, the availability of effective antibiotic therapy has facilitated the employment by physicians of potent immunosuppressive therapy in the control and treatment of other conditions such as cancer and transplant rejection, since resulting infections may be treated and are often suppressed or cured.
KeywordsPenicillin Bacillus Glycoside Ampicillin Cephalosporin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Butler, J. C., Hofmann, J.H., Cetron, M.S., Elliott, J.A., Facklam, R.R., and Breiman, R.F., 1996, The continued emergence of drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in the United States: an update from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Pneumococcal Sentinel Surveillance System, J. Infect. Dis 174:986.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1989–1993, 1993, Nosocomial enterococci resistant to vancomycin, Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep 42:597.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1995, Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance. Recommendations of the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC), Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep 44:1.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1997a, Reduced susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus to vancomycin-Japan, 1996, Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep 46:624.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1997b, Interim guidelines for prevention and control of staphylococcal infection associated with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin, Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep 46:626.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1997c, Staphylococcus aureus with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin — United States, 1997, Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep 46:765.Google Scholar
- Daum, R.S., Gupta, S., Sabbagh, R., and Milewski, W.M., 1992, Characterization of Staphylococcus aureus isolates with decreased susceptibility to vancomycin and teicoplanin: isolation and purification of a constitu-tively produced protein associated with decreased susceptibility, J. Infect. Dis 166:1066.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jacoby G.A. and Archer, G.L., 1991, New mechanisms of bacterial resistance to antimicrobial agents, J. Infect. Dis 324:601.Google Scholar
- Vakulenko, S.B., Geryk, B., Kotra, L.P., Mobashery, S., and Lerner, S.A., 1998, Selection and characterization of β-lactam-β-lactamase inactivator-resistant mutants following PCR mutagenesis of the TEM-1 β-lactamase gene, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother 42:in press.Google Scholar