In the 197Os it was thought that the advent of monoclonal antibody technology heralded the fruition of the search for the “magic bullet” first proposed by Ehrlich in the early years of this century (Ehrlich, 1960). In practice, however, this goal has remained elusive as a range of obstacles have presented themselves and have proved very difficult to overcome. To date, there have been numerous attempts to improve the cytotoxicity of the antibody “missile” by attaching a variety of “warheads” to them, for example, cytotoxic drugs, such as adriamycin or methotrexate, toxins, such as ricin A-chain or Pseudomonas exotoxin, and radioisotopes (Pietersz and McKenzie, 1992).
KeywordsCatalytic Antibody Blood Ratio Human Small Cell Lung Cancer Prodrug Activation Antibody Direct Enzyme Prodrug Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bagshawe, K. D., Sharma, S. K., Springer, C. J., Antoniw, P., Boden, J. A., Rogers, G. T., Burke, P. J., Melton, R. G., and Sherwood, R. F., 1991, Antibody Directed Enzyme Prodrug Therapy (ADEPT)—clinical report, Disease Marker 9:233–238.Google Scholar
- Ehrlich, P. The Collected Papers of P. Ehrlich, Pergamon Press, London, 1960, pp. 505–518.Google Scholar
- Goldenberg, D. M., Sharkey, R. M., Hall, T. C., Murthy, S., Siegal, J. A., Izon, D. O., Swayne, L. C., Lake, D., Hansen, H. J., and Pinsky, M., 1991, Radioimmunotherapy of B-cell lymphomas with 131I-labeled LL2 (EPB-2) monoclonal antibody, Antibody Immunoconj. Radiopharm. 4: 763–769.Google Scholar
- Meredith, R. E, Khazaeli, M. B., Pion, W. E., Liu, T., Russell, C. D., Wheeler, R. H., and Lobuglio, A. E, 1993, Effect of human immune response on repeat courses of131í-chimeric B72.3 antibody therapy, Antibody Immunoconj. Radiopharm. 6:39–46.Google Scholar
- Springer, C. J., Bagshawe, K. D., Sharma, S. K., Searle, F., Boden, J. A., Antoniw, P., Burke, R J., Rogers, G. T., Sherwood, R. Y., and Melton, R. G., 1991, Ablation of human choriocarcinoma xenografts in nude mice by antibody-directed enzyme prodrug therapy (ADEPT) with three novel compounds, Eur. J. Cancer 27:1361–1366.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar