Prediction of Reflection Coefficients from Defects in Embedded Bars
There is a recognized need worldwide for improved methods for the detection of corrosion of the tendons in post-tensioned concrete bridges [1,2]. Post-tensioning is used to construct light, strong bridges with the possibility of long spans. The technique involves constructing the concrete spans, leaving hollow tubes, called ducts, in place in theformwork while the concrete cures. Steel bars or strands, collectively called tendons, are then fed through the ducts and tensioned to force the concrete into compression. Finally the ducts are filled with grout to provide corrosion protection for the steel tendons. However voids which can form during the grouting process can allow water to collect in contact with the tendons, promoting corrosion. The detection of the corrosion of the tendons is very difficult because they are embedded deep within the bridge structure and are shielded by the ducts. Current inspection is primarily visual, involving drilling through to the ducts from the exterior of the bridge .
KeywordsAttenuation Drilling Pier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Darby, Concrete Society and Concrete Bridge Development Group, “Durable Post-Tensioned Concrete Bridges”, seminar proceedings, 18 May 1994, pp. 36–64.Google Scholar
- 2.R.A. Livingston, in Review of Progress in QNDE, Vol. 13, eds. D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti (Plenum Press, New York, 1994), pp. 2099–2106.Google Scholar
- 3.B.N. Pavlakovic, M.J.S. Lowe, and P. Cawley, in Review of Progress in QNDE, Vol. 17, op. cit. (1998), pp. 1557–1564.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Hitchings, “Fe77 User Manual”, Imperial College, London SW7 2BX, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.B.N. Pavlakovic, M.J.S. Lowe, D. Alleyne, and P. Cawley, in Review of Progress in QNDE, Vol. 16, op. cit. (1997), pp. 185–192.Google Scholar
- 6.B.N. Pavlakovic, D.N. Alleyne, M.J.S. Lowe, and P. Cawley, in Review of Progress in QNDE, Vol. 17, op. cit. (1998), pp. 1003–1010.Google Scholar
- 7.B.N. Pavlakovic, “Leaky Guided Ultrasonic Waves in NDT”,Ph.D Thesis, University of London, 1998._Submitted Oct. 1998.Google Scholar