Bose-Einstein Condensates in Spatially Periodic Potentials
Bose-Einstein condensation in trapped dilute gases1,1,3 was observed only recently. Nevertheless, the experimental developments in this field have advanced rapidly, and the properties of condensates in different circumstances have become a matter of practical interest. In this work we study the influence of a spatially periodic external potential on the properties of a Bose-Einstein condensate, as reported elsewhere in more detail4. Such a periodic potential may be induced by a far-off resonant laser field, and with present trapped condensates it is possible to have a condensate extending over many periods of such a field. The proposed periodic potential could be realized by a simple rearrangement of the laser field in the experiments with an optically trapped condensate5.
KeywordsPeriodic Potential Bloch Oscillation Condensate Dynamic Adiabaticity Assumption Adiabatic Rapid Passage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Kirstine Berg-Sørensen and Klaus Mølmer, Bose-Einstein condensates in spatially periodic potentials, to appear in Phys. Rev. A, August 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.D. S. Jin, J. R. Ensher, M. R. Matthews, C. E. Wieman, and E. A. Cornell, Collective excitations of a Bose-Einstein condensate in a dilute gas, Phys. Rev. Lett. 77:420 (1996); M.-O. Mewes, M. R. Andrews, N. J. van Druten, D. M. Kurn, D. S. Durfee, C. G. Townsend, and W. Ketterle, Collective excitations of a Bose-Einstein condensate in a magnetic trap, Phys. Rev. Lett. 77:988(1996).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Mark Raizen, Christophe Salomon, and Qian Niu, New light on quantum transport, Physics Today July 1997, p.30.Google Scholar
- 14.Q. Niu, X.-G. Zhao, G. A. Geogakis, and M. G. Raizen, Atomic Landau-Zener tunneling and Wannier-Stark ladders in optical potentials, Phys. Rev. Lett. 76:4504 (1996); C. F. Bharucha, K. W. Madison, P. R. Morrow, S. R. Wilkinson, B. Sundaram, and M. G. Raizen, Observation of atomic tunneling from an accelerated optical potential, Phys. Rev. A 55:R857 (1997).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Ben Dahan, E. Peik, J. Reichel, Y. Castin, and C. Salomon, Bloch oscillations of atoms in an optical potential, Phys. Rev. Lett. 76:4508 (1996); E. Peik, M. Ben Dahan, I. Bouchole, Y. Castin, and C. Salomon, Bloch oscillations of atoms, adiabatic rapid passage, and monokinetic atomic beams, Phys. Rev. A 55:2989 (1997).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.N. W. Ashcroft and N. D. Mermin, Solid State Physics Saunders, Philadelphia, (1976).Google Scholar