Onset of Magnetism and Non-Fermi Liquid Behaviour In UTX Compounds
Magnetism based of the 5f-states in light actinides can he very vaguely characterized as a phenomenon spanning the range between the 3d-hand magnetism of transition metals and the magnetism of localized 4f states in regular lanthanides. The tunability of the degree of delocalization of the 5f-electronic states, which depends on the overlap of the 5f wave functions centered on neighbouring sites, and on the strength of the 5f ligand hybridization, makes indeed possible to reach, depending on crystal structure, stoichiometry, and type of constituents, a large variety of types of the ground state. The narrow 5f-band regime, into which most the materials fall, means much higher complexity of the problem due to the prominent role of the 5f-electron correlations. Additional non-standard feature is the crucial role of relativistic phenomena. The last ingredient leads, for example, to a strong orbital polarization even in strongly itinerant systems, and to a strong coupling of the spin system to the crystal lattice, both being the consequence of strong spin-orbit interaction.
KeywordsMagnetic Phase Transition Fermi Liquid Spin Fluctuation Late Transition Metal Paramagnetic Curie Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andreev, A.V., I.K. Kozlovskaya, N.V. Mushnikov, T. Goto, V. Sechovsky, L. Havela.Google Scholar
- Y. Homma, and Y. Shiokawa, 1998, Magnetic properties of Ui_.,Y,CoAI, to he publishedGoogle Scholar
- Dremov, R.V., 1998. unpublished resultsGoogle Scholar
- Goto, T., H. Aruga Katori, T. Sakakibara, H. Mitamura, K. Fukamichi, and K. Murata, 1994, Itinerant electron metamagnetism and related phenomena in Co-based intermetallic compounds,J.Appl.Phys. 76: 6682Google Scholar
- Havela, L., T. Almeida, J.R. Naegele, V. Sechovsky. and E. Brück, 1992a, High resolution photoemission on UPdSn and UNiAI, “Alloys Comp. 181: 205.Google Scholar
- Havela, L., A.V. Andreev, V. Sechovsky, I.K. Kozlovskaya, K. Prokes, P. Javorsky,M.I. Bartsahevich, T. Goto, and K. Kamishima, 1997, 5f-hand metamagnetism in UCoA1, Physica B 230–232: 98Google Scholar
- Havela, L., R.V. Dremov, A.V. Andreev, V. Sechovsky, J. Sehek, and K. Prokes, 1998, Electronic properties of UPdSn diluted by Lu, “Alloys Comp., in press Kolomiets, A.V., 1998, unpublished dataGoogle Scholar
- Kolomiets, A.V.. L. Havela, V. Sechovsky, L.E.DeLong, D.B. Watkins. and A.V. Andreev, 1998, Evidence for an extended critical region near the metamagnetic transition of UCoAI. J.Appl.Phvs. 83: 6435Google Scholar
- Nakotte, H. 1994, Magnetism in cerium and uranium intermetallics, PhD Thesis, University of AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Sandratskii, L.M. and J. Kühler, 1997b, Electronic and magnetic properties of UPdSn: the itinerant 5f electrons approach, J.Phys.: Condens.Matter 9: IGoogle Scholar
- Sechovsky, V., L. Havela, K. Prokes, and A.V. Andreev, Anomalous magnetic and related electronic properties of U-intermctallics, in the sane volumeGoogle Scholar