Transcriptional Regulation of the Pou Gene Oct-6 in Schwann Cells
Genetic evidence suggests that the POU transcription factor Oct-6 plays a pivotal role as an intracellular regulator of Schwann cell differentiation. In the absence of Oct-6 function Schwann cells are generated in appropriate numbers and these cells differentiate normally up to the promyelin stage at which they transiently arrest. During peripheral nerve development Oct-6 expression is initiated in Schwann cell precursors and is strongly upregulated in promyelin cells. Oct-6 expression is subsequently extinguished in terminally differentiating Schwann cells. Thus, identification and characterisation of the DNA elements involved in this stage specific regulation may lead us to the signaling cascade and the axon-derived signals that drive Schwann cell differentiation and initiate myelination. Here we present experiments that aim at identifying such regulatory sequences.
KeywordsSchwann Cell Schwann Cell Differentiation Schwann Cell Lineage DNAseI Hypersensitive Site Schwann Cell Precursor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blanchard, A.D., Sinanan A., Parmantier E., Zwart R., Broos L., Meijer D., Meier, C.,, Jessen, K.R., and Mirsky, R. (1996). Oct-6 (SCIP/Tst-1) is expressed in Schwann cell precursors, embryonic Schwann cells, and postnatal myelinating Schwann cells: comparison with Oct-1, Krox-20, and Pax-3. J Neurosci Res 46, 630–640.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Herr W., Sturm, R.A., Clerc, R.G., Corcoran, L.M., Baltimore D., Sharp, PA., Ingraham, H.A., Rosenfeld, M.G., Finney M., Ruvkun G., and Horvitz, H.R. (1988). The POU domain: a large conserved region in the mammalian pit-1, oct-1, oct-2, and Caenorhabditis elegans unc-86 gene products. Genes Dev 2, 1513–1516.Google Scholar
- Sambrook J., Fritsch E., and Maniatis, T. (1989). Molecular cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd Edition (New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory).Google Scholar
- Scholer H.R. Balling R. Hatzopoulos A.K. Suzuki N and Gruss P. 1989. Octamer binding proteins confer transcriptional activity in early mouse embryogenesis. Embo J 8 2551–2557Google Scholar
- Zwart, R. (1996). Studies on the POU gene Oct-6 in ectoderm cell differentiation. PhD thesis, Erasmus University.Google Scholar