Minimax Based Regulation of Change Detection Threshold in Video-Surveillance Systems
Thanks to the increasing development of complex vision systems, it becomes strictly necessary to introduce quantitative performance evaluation methods. Such methods should make it possible both comparing results provided by different surveillance systems and selecting optimal parameters for each one, depending on the specific functionality of a system and on the particular characteristics of the monitored environment. In this contribution, it is shown that Receiver Operating Characteristics  (ROC) curves provide a well assessed tool that can be used for the above purpose. In literature ROC curves have been used for performance evaluation of image processing algorithms: in  for evaluation of edge detection algorithms and in  for evaluation of artificial neural networks for medical imaging.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Van Trees, “Classical Detection and Estimation Theory — Detection, Estimation, and Modulation Theory”, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1968, pp. 19–46.Google Scholar
- A. Tesei, A. Teschioni, C.S. Regazzoni, and G. Vernazza, “Long Memory Matching of Interacting Complex Objects from Real Image Sequences”, Proc. Conf. on Time Varying Image Processing and Moving Object Recognition, Florence (Italy), September 1996, pp. 283–286.Google Scholar
- M. Bogaert, N. Chleq, P. Cornez, C.S. Regazzoni, A. Teschioni, M. Thonnat, “The PASSWORDS Project”, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Lausanne, September 1996, Vol.III, pp. 675–678.Google Scholar
- “Advanced Video-based Surveillance Systems”, C.S Regazzoni, G. Vernazza and G. Fabri (Eds) — Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998Google Scholar
- A. Teschioni and C. Regazzoni, “Performances Evaluation Strategies of an Image Processing System for Surveillance Applications”, in Advanced Video-based Surveillance Systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998, pp. 76–90.Google Scholar
- F. Oberti, E. Siringa, “Performance Evaluation Criterion for Characterizing Video Surveillance Systems”, accepted for publication in Real-Time Imaging.Google Scholar