Toxicity screening of surface waters in southern Italy with Toxkit microbiotests
This preliminary study reports on the toxicity of surface waters collected twice in 1997 (once in late spring and once in late autumn) at 19 sampling stations in 5 areas (Domitian, Flegrean, Regi Lagni, Vesuvian and Coast area) in the Province of Naples in Italy. The acute toxicity of the surface waters was determined with a battery composed of 4 microbiotests: the Algaltoxkit F™, the Rotoxkit F™, the Thamnotoxkit F™ and the Daphtoxkit F™ pulex. With the exception of the surface waters from 2 stations in the Vesuvian area (but only for the autumn samples) in which no acute toxicity was detected, all other samples were found to be "slightly toxic" or "toxic" according to the arbitrary (log) classification in toxic units of Persoone et al. (1993). In virtually all cases, the waters were toxic to several if not all the test biota used. This preliminary investigation points to the urgent need for surface water quality improvement in the areas investigated. It furthermore confirmed that a battery of Toxkit microbiotests is a practical and reliable low cost tool for the hazard assessment of polluted waters.
KeywordsAcute Toxicity Standard Operational Procedure Juvenile Salmon Toxic Unit Aquatic Food Chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Algaltoxkit F™ 1996. Freshwater toxicity test with microalgae. Standard Operational Procedure. Creasel, Deinze, Belgium. 28 pages.Google Scholar
- Daphtoxkit F™ pulex 1996. Crustacean toxicity screening test for freshwater. Standard Operational Procedure. Creasel, Deinze, Belgium. 17 pages.Google Scholar
- Giarei G, Binelli A., Galassi S. and Provini A. 1997. Potenzialità dei metodi biologici per il controllo délie acque di scarico. S.It.EAtti 18 18: 397–398.Google Scholar
- Paoletti A., Parrella A., Gargiulo E., Aliberti F., Vitale P. and Cecere A. 1995. II risanamento ambientale del bacino idrografico del fiume Sarno. L’igiene Moderna 103: 589–628.Google Scholar
- Persoone G., Goyvaerts M., Janssen G, De Coen W. and Vangheluwe M. 1993. Cost-effective acute hazard monitoring of polluted waters and waste dumps with the aid of Toxkits. Executive Summary to the Final Report. Commission of the European Communities. ACE 89/BE 2/D3. 14 pages.Google Scholar
- Rotoxkit F™ 1992. Rotifer toxicity screening test for freshwater. Standard Operational Procedure. Creasel, Deinze, Belgium. 22 pages.Google Scholar
- Thamnotoxkit F™ 1995. Crustacean toxicity screening test for freshwater. Standard Operational Procedure. Creasel, Deinze, Belgium. 23 pages.Google Scholar
- Van Leeuwen C.J. 1996. Ecotoxicological effects. In Van Leeuwen C.J. and Hermens J.L.M., eds, Risk Assessment of Chemicals: an introduction. Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp 175–237.Google Scholar
- Volterra L. 1996. L’ecotossicologia come strumento di salvaguardia ambientale. Normativa straniera e italiana. Acqua Aria 4: 365–369.Google Scholar