From Policy to Practice
Imagine a child going to bed at night—one whose last sensation before dozing off is of deep satisfaction because that day at school he or she made a describable and meaningful contribution to the well-being of his or her community. Imagine that child also feeling excited about going to school tomorrow because learning is fun and school is where new knowledge and skills are gained and shared with others. Imagine a child wanting to do that because it will create a more sustainable future for the generations beyond.
KeywordsSustainable Development Geographic Information System Learn Opportunity Ecological Footprint Sustainable Future
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bateson, Mary Catherine (1994) Peripheral Visions: Learning Along the Way. New York: Harper Collins Books.Google Scholar
- Cobb County School District and Concord Consortium (1996) Education for a Sustainable Future: Proposal to the US Department of Education Technology Innovation Challenge Program.Google Scholar
- Fien, J. ed. (1996) Teaching for a Sustainable World. Nairobi, Kenya. United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).Google Scholar
- Epstein, Joyce L. School/Family/Community Partnerships, Caring for the Children We Share. Phi Delta Kappan, May, 1995.Google Scholar
- Milbraith, Lester W. (1989) Envisioning a Sustainable Society: Learning Our Way Out. Albany, New York. State University of New York Press.Google Scholar
- President’s Council on Sustainable Development (1996) Education for Sustainability: an agenda for action. Washington DC. US Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Sitarz, Daniel ed. (1993) Agenda 21: The Earth Summit Strategy to Save Our Planet. Boulder Colorado: Earth Press.Google Scholar
- Stapp, William B., Wals, Aren E.J., Stankorb, and Sheri L. (1996) Environmental Education for Empowerment: Action Research and Community Problem Solving. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Wackernagel, Mathis and Rees, William (1996) Our Ecological Footprint; Reducing Human Impact on the Earth. New Society Publishers, Gabriola Island, BC, Canada and Philadelphia, PA.Google Scholar
- World Commission on Environment and Development (1987) Our Common Future. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar