The Use of Y-Chromosomal DNA Variation to Investigate Population History
Y-chromosomal DNA lineages can be used to trace the origins of males in modern populations. A combination of biallelic markers has been used to identify “haplogroup 3” Y chromosomes, which are widespread and common in many European and Asian populations. Microsatellite analysis shows that the diversity of haplogroup 3 chromosomes is low, suggesting a recent spread.
KeywordsAncestral Chromosome Microsatellite Mutation Biallelic Marker Recent Spread Microsatellite Haplotype
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cavalli-Sforza, LL, Menozzi, P, Poazza, A (1994)The history and geography of human genes. Princeton University Press, Princeton.Google Scholar
- Gimbutas, M (1970) Proto-Indo-European culture: the Kurgan culture during the fifth, fourth and third millennia BC. InIndo-European and halo-Europeans. G Cardona, HM Hoenigswald, A Senn, eds., pp 155–195. University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Kayser, M, Caglia, A, Corach, D, Fretwell, N, Gehrig, C, Graziosi, G, Heidorn, F, Herrmann, S, Herzog, B, Hidding, M, Honda, K, Jobling, M, Krawczak, M, Leim, K, Meuser, S, Meyer, E, Oesterreich, W, Pandya, A, Parson, W, Penacino, G, Perez-Lezaun, A, Piccinni, A, Prinz, M, Schmitt, C, Schneider, PM, Szibor, R, Teifel-Greding, J, Weichhold, G, de Knijff, P, Roewer, L (1997) Evaluation of Y-chromosomal STRs: a multicenter study.Int. J. Legal Med.110125–133.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kayser, M (1998)Y-chromosomal DNA polymorphism: characterisation, population genetics and application to molecular anthropology and forensic individualisation. Ph.D. thesis, Humboldt-University Berlin.Google Scholar
- Pandya, A (1998) Human Y chromosomal DNA variation. DPhil thesis, Oxford University.Google Scholar
- Tyler-Smith, C (1999) Y-chromosomal DNA markers (this volume).Google Scholar
- Underhill, PA, Jin, L, Lin, AA, Mehdi, SQ, Jenkins, T, Vollrath, D, Davis, RW, Cavalli-Sforza, LL, Oefner, PJ (1997) Detection of numerous Y chromosome biallelic polymorphisms by denaturing high-performance liquid chromatography.Genome Res.7996–1005.Google Scholar
- Zerjal, T, Dashnyam, B, Pandya, A, Kayser, M, Roewer, L, Santos, FR, Fretwell, N, Jobling, MA, Harihara, S, Shimizu, K, Semjidmaa, D, Sajantila, A. Salo, P, Crawford, MH, Ginter, EK, Evgrafov, OV, Tyler-Smith, C (1997) Genetic relationships of Asians and Northern Europeans, revealed by Y-chromosomal DNA analysis.Am. J. Hum. Genet.601174–1183.Google Scholar