Operation of the Four 12 KW at 4.5K Refrigerators for LEP
In 1998 the first energy upgrade of the LEP Electron/Positron collider, LEP2, was completed at CERN. Sixty-eight superconducting modules supplied by four 12 kW @ 4.5 K equivalent power refrigerators have been operated allowing a colliding beam energy of 94.5 GeV. Meanwhile, the operation and maintenance responsibilities were transferred to an industrial firm on the basis of a result-oriented contract. After a short description of the operational organization, we report on the operation of the LEP2 cryogenic system over the past three years. Particular attention is given to power availability, failure statistics and recovery time after interruptions. The most relevant problems and their solutions are exposed. Finally, we review the interactions between the cryogenic system and the particle beams, which are limiting the ultimate performance of the LEP collider.
KeywordsCryogenic System Bunch Length Helium Leak Typical Layout Flexible Transfer Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Güsewell, M. Barranco-Luque, S. Claudet, W.K. Erdt, P.K. Frandsen, Ph. Gayet, J. Schmid, N.O. Solheim, C. Titcomb and G. Winkler, Cryogenics for the LEP200 Superconducting Cavities at CERN, Proc. of the Particle Accel Conf. 1993, 2956-2958Google Scholar
- 2.B. Chromec, W.K. Erdt, D. Güsewell, K. Löhlein, A. Meier,.A.E. Senn, T. Saugy, N.O. Solheim, U. Wagner, G. Winkler, B. Ziegler et. al, A High Efficient 12 kW Refrigerator for the LEP200 Project at CERN, Proc. of the IISSC 1993, Supercollider 5, Plenum Press (1994) 95-100Google Scholar
- 5.G. Winkler, Ph. Gayet, D. Güsewell and C. Titcomb, Cryogenics Operation and On Line Measurements of RF Losses in the SC Cavities of LEP2, Particle Accel. Conf.7995 DallasGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ph. Gayet, S. Claudet, D. Kaiser, G. Winkler, Cryogenic issues, VII LEP Chamonix workshop, 1997Google Scholar
- 7.Ph. Gayet, S.Claudet, D. Kaiser, G. Riddone, LEP2 in 1998 and beyond, Cryogenic issues, VIII LEP Chamonix workshop, 1998Google Scholar
- 8.Ph. Gayet, S. Claudet, D. Kaiser, M. Sanmarti, Cryogenic issues for LEP2 in 1999, IX LEP Chamonix workshop, 1999Google Scholar