Tests for describing various properties of a sample of oil or fat are part of the assessment of its commercial value or authenticity. They are concerned with the ‘quality’ of the oil rather than with its ‘chemical nature’ though some tests provide pointers to composition. For example, iodine value is an indication of the average unsaturation of the acyl chains. In some cases the chemical reactions underlying the tests are not fully understood and empirical values are obtained. The results are only reliable and of value for comparison purposes, when the tests are carried out carefully by standardized methods which have been worked out and approved by groups of analysts.
KeywordsHigh Performance Liquid Chromatography Iodine Aldehyde MeOH Choline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blomberg, L.G. and M. Demibuker (1994) Analysis of triacylglycerols by argentation supercritical fluid chromatography, in Developments in the Analysis of Lipids (eds J.H.P. Tyman and M.H. Gordon), Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Christie, W.W. (1987) High-performance Liquid Chromatography and Lipids, Pergamon, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Christie, W.W. (1989) Gas Chromatography and Lipids, The Oily Press, Ayr.Google Scholar
- Christie, W.W. (1989) Silver ion chromatography using solid-phase extraction columns packed with a bonded-sulphonic acid phase, J. Lipid Res., 30, 1471–1473.Google Scholar
- Christie, W.W. (ed.) (1992) Advances in Lipid Methodology — One, The Oily Press, Ayr.Google Scholar
- Christie, W.W. (ed.) (1993) Advances in Lipid Methodology — Two, The Oily Press, Dundee.Google Scholar
- Christie, W.W. (1994) High performance liquid chromatography of chiral lipids, in Developments in the Analysis of Lipids (eds J.H.P. Tyman and M.H. Gordon) Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G.H.S. Stanley (1975) A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissue, J. Biol. Chem., 226, 497–509.Google Scholar
- Gunstone, F.D. et al. (eds) (1994) The Lipid Handbook, 2nd edn, Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- Hamilton, RJ. and J.B. Rosseil (eds) (1986) Analysis of Oils and Fats, Elsevier Applied Science, London.Google Scholar
- Hammond, E. (1993) Chromatography for the Analysis of Lipids, CRC, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Robbelen, G. et al. (eds) (1989) Oil Crops of the World — Their Breeding and Utilisation, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Rossell, J.B. and J.L.R. Pritchard (eds) (1991) Analysis of Oilseeds, Fats, and Fatty Foods, Elsevier Applied Science, London.Google Scholar