Facial Pattern Recognition
Alongside the work on third order networks, a parallel experiment on face recognition was pursued using two-dimensional image moments and geneticallybred first-order backpropagation networks. Moments and functions of moments have been used as pattern features in many applications to achieve invariant recognition of two-dimensional image patterns [TEAG80]_[KHOT90]_[PERA92]_[REDD81]_[LO89]. Such features capture global information about the image and, unlike Fourier descriptors, do not require closed boundaries. Moment invariants were first proposed by Hu [HU62]_in 1961 using non-linear combinations of regular(geometric) moments which are invariant under scale, translation, and rotation image transformations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [GALT88]Sir F. Galton, “Personal Identification and description-II”, Nature 173–177,21 June 1888.Google Scholar
- [GONZ92]R.C. Gonzalez, R.E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1992.Google Scholar
- [HORN75]B. Horn,“Obtaining Shape from Shading”, The Psychology of Computer Vision, McGraw-Hill, 1975.Google Scholar
- [HU62]M. Hu, “Visual Pattern Recognition by Moment Invariants”, IRE Trans. on Information Theory, pp.l79-187, Feb.1962.Google Scholar
- [KRZY88]Krzyzak, S.Y. Leung, C.Y.Suen, “Reconstruction of two-dimensional patterns by Fourier descriptors”, Proceedings of the 9th ICPR, Rome, pp.555–558, Nov 1988.Google Scholar
- [LO89]C-H. Lo, H-S. Don, “3-D Moment Forms: Their Construction and Application to Object Identification and Positioning”, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.11, No. 10, Oct 1989.Google Scholar
- [MHU62]M-K. Hu, “Visual Pattern Recognition by Moment Invariants”, IRE Trans. on Information Theory, pp. 179–187, Feb 1962.Google Scholar
- [PEAR24]K. Pearson, “Photographic Researches and Portrature”, Vol.2, Chapter XII, pp.283–333. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1924).Google Scholar
- [SU82]Y.N. Su, H.H. Arsenault, G. April, “Rotational Invariant Digital Pattern Recognition using Circular Harmonic Expansion”, Applied Optics, Vol.2l, pp.4012–4015, 1982.Google Scholar
- [UWEC94]O. Uwechue, P. Luebbers, “Numerical Optimization Techniques in Neural Networks and Robotics: a survey of Genetic Algorithms and Evolutionary Programming”, Proc. of IMACS Symposium, Lille(France), 1994.Google Scholar