Molecular Analysis of Chromosomal Abnormalities in Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Three recurrent chromosomal deletion syndromes have been identified in ALL- 6q—, 9p—, and 12p— each of which is apparent in leukemic cells from about 10% of patients with this disease. We examined the cells from patients with ALL both at diagnosis and remission by using probes with restriction fragment length polymorphisms (RFLPs), which were assigned to 6q and 12p. Our data suggested that the critical deleted region of 6q was between ql6 and q21, and that mitotic recombination of 6q might not be involved in childhood ALL. Further studies are needed to clarify the role of 6q and 12p abnormalities. Moreover, we examined a series of cases with t(1:19) and have preliminary results confirming previous reports.
KeywordsAcute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Acoustic Neuroma Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Mitotic Recombination Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 16.Mittelman, F.: Catalog of Chromosome Aberrations in Cancer 3rd ed., (Alan R. Liss, New York) 1988.Google Scholar
- 17.Hayashi, Y., Raimondi, S.C., Look, AT., Behm, F.G., Kitchingman, G.R., Pui, C-H., Rivera, G.K. and Williams D.L.: Abnormalities of the long arm of chromosome 6 in childhood lymphoblastic leukemia, submitted.Google Scholar
- 21.Third International Workshop on Chromosomes in Leukemia: Chromosomal abnormalities and their clinical significance in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Res. 43: 868–873, 1983.Google Scholar
- 24.Ohyashiki, K., Ohyashiki, J.H., Kinniburgh, AJ., Toyama, K., Ito, H., Minowada, J. and Sandberg, A.A.: myb oncogene in human hematopoietic neoplasia with 6q-anomaly. Cancer Genet. Cytogenet. 33: 83, 1988.Google Scholar
- 25.Hayash, Y., Raimondi, S.C, Kitchingman, G.R. and Look, A.T.: Molecular analysis of the long arm of chromosome 6 in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. In preparation.Google Scholar
- 30.Raimondi, S.C, Behm, F.G., Abromowitch, M., Pui, C-H., Williams, D.L. and Rivera, G.K.: Significance of the t(1;19) leukemic blasts of patients with pre-B acute lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 72: 221a, 1988 (abstr).Google Scholar
- 34.Hayashi, Y., Raimondi, S.C. and Look, A.T.: Molecular analysis of pre-B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia with and without t(1;19). In preparation.Google Scholar