Novel 5-Lipoxygenase Inhibitor (SC-41661) Reduces Human Ovarian Cancer Cell Invasion and Ascitic Tumor Growth
Ovarian cancer, the fourth leading cause of cancer-related deaths in American women, accounts for nearly 15,000 deaths annually (1). The tumor arises from the epithelial cells covering the surface of the ovary. These cells proliferate, escape from the primary tumor, and spread into the peritoneal cavity where multiple secondary tumors form that are difficult to remove or to treat. The obstruction of peritoneal lymphatics by the tumor cells further results in the development of ascites. The formation of ascites can then further facilitate the spread of malignant cells to other sites within the peritoneal cavity. The most common form of treatment for ovarian cancer involves the surgical excision of intraperitoneal tumors, followed by chemotherapy. Small tumor masses cannot be easily removed. Furthermore, ovarian cancer is clinically noted for the rapid development of primary drug resistance and a broad cross resistance to conventional chemotherapy which makes this tumor particularly difficult to treat.
KeywordsPermeability Migration Toxicity Leukemia Adenocarcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Powles, T.J., Bockman, R.S., Honn, K.V., and Ramwell, P.W. (eds.) Prostaglandins and Cancer, New York, Alan R. Liss, Inc., 1984.Google Scholar
- 4.Kort, W.J. Hulsman, L.O.M., van Schalkwijk, W.P., Wejima, I.M., Zondervan, P.E., and Westbroek, D.L. J. Nat’l. Cancer Inst. 76:711–720, 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.Reich, R., and Martin, G.R. Cancer Res., submitted, 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.Mueller, R.A., and Partis, R.A., US Patent 4,663,333, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Nakao, A., Yang, O-C, Jung, G., Partis, R.A., and Mueller, R.A., in preparation.Google Scholar
- 10.Albini, A., Iwamoto, Y., Kleinman, H.K., Martin, G.R., Aaronson, S.A., Kozlowski, J.M., and McEwan, R.N. Cancer Res., 47:3239–3245, 1989.Google Scholar
- 12.Fridman, R. Lacal, J.C., Reich, R., Bonfil, R.D., and Ahn, C. J. Cell. Physiol., in press, 1989.Google Scholar