Effects of Added Cytokines on Immune Responses and Memory
- 101 Downloads
Immunological adjuvants can be defined as substances which are not specific to a particular antigen, but which can enhance the specific immune response to antigens. In recent years a new group of such molecules has been defined and partially characterised. These are non-antigen specific molecules which affect specific immune responses in various ways — the cytokines. The increasing availability of cytokines in purified form, as recombinant proteins, has enabled a much increased understanding of their actions and, among many other things, has revealed their usefulness as adjuvants.
KeywordsInterferon Gamma Rabies Virus Specific Immune Response Malaria Vaccine Adjuvant Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allison, A.C., 1983, Immunological adjuvants and their mode of action, in: “New Approaches to Vaccine Development”, R. Bell and G. Torrigiani, eds., WHO, Schwabe and Co., AG., Basel.Google Scholar
- Anderson, G., Urbana, O., Fedorka-Cray, Newell, A., Nunberg, J. and Doyle, M., 1987, Interleukin 2 and protective immunity in Haemophilus pleuropneumoniae. Preliminary studies, in: “Vaccines ’87”, Cold Spring Harbor Press.Google Scholar
- Frasca, D., Boraschi, D., Baschierl, S., Bossu, P., Tagliabue, A., Adorini, L. and Doria, G., 1989, In vivo restoration of T cell function by human IL-1β or its 16–171 nonapeptide in inwunodepressed mice, J.Immunol., 141:2651.Google Scholar
- Ghiara, P., Borashi, D., Nencioni, L., Ghezzi, P. and Tagliabue, A., 1988, Enhancement of in vivo immune response by tumour necrosis factor, J.Immunol., 139:3676.Google Scholar
- Grun, J.L. and Maurer, P.H., 1989, Different T helper subsets elicited in mice utilising two different adjuvant vehicles; the role of endogenous interleukin in proliferative responses, Cell Immunol., 121:134.Google Scholar
- Heath, A.W. and Playfair, J.H.L., 1991, Conjugation of interferon gamma to antigen enhances its adjuvant ici ty, Immunology, in press.Google Scholar
- Heath, A.W., Haque, N.A., De Souza, J.B. and Playfair, J.H.L., 1989b, Interferon gamma as an effective immunological adjuvant, in: “Vaccines ’89”, Cold Spring Harbor Press.Google Scholar
- Meiler, S.C., Dumaim, H., Meyer zum Buschenfelde, K.H. and Kohler, H., 1989, Low-dose interleukin-2 induces systemic immune responses against HBsAg in immunodeficient non-responders to hepatitis B vaccination, Lancet, i:15.Google Scholar
- Quiroga, J.A. and Carreno, V., 1989, Interferon and hepatitis B vaccine in haemodialysis patients, Lancet, ii:1264.Google Scholar
- Yilma, T., Anderson, K., Brechling, K. and Moss, B., 1987, Expression of an adjuvant gene (interferon-y) in infectious vaccinia virus recombinants, in: “Vaccines ’87”, Cold Spring Harbor Press.Google Scholar