Theory of High — Frequency Discharges
- 264 Downloads
This work reviews the theory of gas discharges sustained by HF fields with emphasis on the electron kinetics as described by the Boltzmann equation.The analysis is however restricted to discharges controlled by processes occurring in the bulk, so that plasma-electrode interactions which play a major role in some RF discharges are not considered here.It is also assumed that ω ≫ τ e −1 where ω is the angular frequency of the applied field and τ e is the characteristic time for electron energy relaxation by collisions with the gas molecules.
KeywordsBoltzmann Equation Collision Frequency Maxwellian Distribution Break Curve Ambipolar Diffusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.W. P. Allis, Hand. of Physics 21: 383 (1956).Google Scholar
- 4.S. C. Brown, Hand. of Physics 22: 531 (1956).Google Scholar
- 7.V. E. Golant, A. P. Zhilinsky and I. E. Sakharov, “Fundamentals of Plasma Physics”, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- 17.C. Boisse-Laporte, Thesis, University Paris-Sud, Orsay (1989).Google Scholar
- 20.J. H. Ingold, Glow Discharges at DC and Low Frequencies, in “Gaseous Electronics”, Vol. I, M. N. Hirsh and H. J. Oskam, eds., Academic Press. New York, 1978.Google Scholar
- 24.C. Barbeau, M. Sc. Thesis, University of Montreal, 1988.Google Scholar
- 25.C. M. Ferreira, J. Loureiro, and A. B. Si, Proceedings XVIII Int. Conf. Phenom. Ionized Gases (book of Invited Lectures), W. T. Williams, ed., Adam Hilger, Bristol (1987).Google Scholar
- 27.C. M. Ferreira, Plasmas Sustained by Surface Waves at Radio and Microwave Frequencies: Basic Processes and Modeling, in “Radiative Processes in Discharge Plasmas”, J. M. Proud and L. H. Luessen, eds., Plenum, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- 29.M. Moisan and Z. Zakrzewski, Plasmas Sustained by Surface Waves at Microwave and RF Frequencies: Experimental Investigation and Applications, in “Radiative Processes in Discharge Plasmas”, J. M. Proud and L. H. Luessen, eds., Plenum, New York, 1986.Google Scholar