Coupled Map Lattices: Abstract Dynamics and Models for Physical Systems
Complicated spatio-temporal structures can arise when large numbers of simple dynamical elements are coupled. There are many physically interesting systems that fall into this category. Numerous examples can be found in biology where self-organization occurs at the cellular level, the brain where interactions among neurons are responsible for its activity, the heart where patterned excitation leads to normal rhythms and the converse to fibrillation. One can include the equations of continuum hydrodynamics and reaction-diffusion equations in this category since they can be considered to arise from a coupling among local fluid elements. A range of descriptions has been used to study the dynamical behavior of such systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Waller and R. Kapral, Phys. Rev. A 30, 2047 (1984); R. Kapral, Phys. Rev. A 31, 3868 (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.R.J. Deissler, Phys. Lett. A 100, 451 (1984).Google Scholar
- 4.For reviews with further references see, J.P. Crutchfield and K. Kaneko, in Directions in Chaos, ed. Hao Bai-lin, (World Scientific, Singapore, 1987); K. Kaneko, Physica D 34, 1 (1989); R. Kapral, M.-N. Chee, S.G. Whittington and G.-L. Oppo, in Measures of Complexity and Chaos, ed. N.B. Abraham, A.M. Albano, A. Passamante and P.E. Rapp (Plenum, NY, 1990), pg. 381.Google Scholar
- 5.See, for instance, Theory and Applications of Cellular Automata, ed., S. Wolfram, (World Scientific, Singapore, 1986).Google Scholar
- 7.S.P. Kuznetsov, Radiofizika 29, 888 (1986); S.P. Kuznetsov and A.S. Pikovsky, Physica D 19, 384 (1986).Google Scholar
- 14.J.D. Gunton, M. San Miguel and P. Sahni, in Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena, eds. C. Domb and J.L. Lebowitz, (Academic Press, NY, 1983).Google Scholar
- 18.S. Puri, R. Kapral and R.C. Desai, Conserved Order Parameter Dynamics and Chaos in a One-Dimensional Discrete Model, to be published.Google Scholar
- 19.M.-N. Chee, R. Kapral and S.G. Whittington, Inhomogeneous Perturbations and Phase Resetting in Oscillatory Reaction-Diffusion Systems, J. Chem. Phys., June (1990).Google Scholar
- 20.A.T. Winfree, The Geometry of Biological Time, (Springer, NY, 1980).Google Scholar
- 22.M.-N. Chee, R. Kapral and S.G. Whittington, Phase Resetting Dynamics for a Discrete Reaction-Diffusion Model, J. Chem. Phys., June (1990).Google Scholar
- 24.X.-G. Wu, M.-N. Chee and R. Kapral, to be published.Google Scholar