Black Hole Radiation: Can Virtual Photoconductivity Produce a Similar Effect in Semiconductors?
Shortly after Hawking’s prediction of thermal radiation from Black Holes, it became apparent that there were other contexts in which such radiation could appear. For example, it was predicted that accelerating observers are bathed in thermal radiation (Unruh radiation). Even a stationary observer who is looking at an accelerating mirror should see such radiant energy. The effect is very weak, however. An acceleration g=980 cm/sec2 produces a radiation temperature of only ~4×10-20 °K, making its detection a major experimental challenge. A nonlinear optical window, whose refractive index is changing rapidly with time, appears, to an observer, to be a window into an accelerating world. The sudden injection of a virtual electron-hole plasma into a semiconductor window can change its refractive index on a sub-picosecond time scale, and can produce an apparent acceleration ~ 1020g.
KeywordsEntropy Microwave GaAs Assure Acoustics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P. S. Laplace, Exposition du Systeme du Monde, vol. 2, (J. B. M. Duprat, Paris, 1796), p. 305. See also S. W. Hawking and G. F. R. Ellis, The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time, (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1974), pp. 365–8.Google Scholar
- 3.W. Israel, in Three Hundred Years of Gravitation, ed. S. W. Hawking and W. Israel, (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1987).Google Scholar
- 6.S. W. Hawking, A Brief History of Time, (Bantam Books, NY, 1987).Google Scholar
- 8.W. G. Unruh, Phys. Rev. D14, (1976) 870.Google Scholar
- 9.P. C. W. Davies, J. Phys. A8, (1975) 609.Google Scholar
- 12.P. C. W. Davies and S. A. Fulling, Proc. Roy. Soc. A356, (1977) 237.Google Scholar
- 13b.E. Yablonovitch, Phys. Rev. A10, (1974) 1888.Google Scholar
- 15.E. Yablonovitch, J. P. Heritage, D. E. Aspnes and Y. Yafet, Phys. Rev. 63, (1989) 976.Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Yafet and E. Yablonovitch, Phys. Rev. B to be published.Google Scholar
- 20.M. van Exter and D. Grischkowsky, IEEE Trans. Microwave Th. & Tech.MTT-38, (1990) to be published.Google Scholar