Recent studies have rekindled interest in clefting syndromes. The more traditional and limited concept of cleft lip and cleft palate, as composed of a few distinct syndromes, has been expanded by these investigations. Currently a myriad of disorders with facial clefts and associated congenital anomalies have been described. More recently a better understanding of the etiology, classification, and management of facial clefts has been organized and documented. It is essential that members of the interdisciplinary team be aware of the new advances in the knowledge base of facial clefts, in order to provide meaningful comprehensive care.
KeywordsClub Foot Cleft Palate Cleave Palate Facial Cleft Secondary Palate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bixler, D., 1981, Genetics and clefting, Cleft Palate J. 18:10–18.Google Scholar
- Cohen, M. M., 1978, Syndromes with cleft lip and cleft palate, Cleft Palate J. 15:306–328.Google Scholar
- Fraser, F. C., 1970, The genetics of cleft lip and cleft palate, Am. J. Hum. Genet. 22:336–352.Google Scholar
- Gorlin, R. J., Pindborg, J. J., and Cohen, M. M., Jr., 1976, Syndromes of the Head and Neck, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Herman, J., and Opitz, J. M., 1975, The Stickler syndrome, Birth Defects 11:76–103.Google Scholar
- Millard, R. D., Jr., 1976, Cleft Craft: The Evolution of Its Surgery, Little, Brown, Boston.Google Scholar
- Moore, K. L., 1988, The Developing Human, 4th ed., Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Rollnick, B. R., and Pruzansky, S., 1981, Genetic services at a centre for craniofacial anomalies, Cleft Palate J. 18:304–313.Google Scholar
- Shrprintzen, R. J., 1985, Anomalies associated with cleft palate, or both, Am. J. Med. Genet. 20:585–595.Google Scholar
- Suslak, L., and Desposito, F., 1988, Infants with cleft lip/cleft palate, Pediatr. Rev. 9:331–334.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J., and Thompson, M., 1986, Genetics in Medicine, 4th ed., Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Warkany, J., 1971, Congenital Malformations, Year Book Medical, Chicago.Google Scholar