Application of Scanning Acoustic Microscopy to Advanced Structural Ceramics
A review is presented on research investigations of several acoustic microscopy techniques for application to structural ceramics for advanced heat engines. Results obtained with scanning acoustic microscopy (SAM), scanning laser acoustic microscopy (SLAM), scanning electron acoustic microscopy (SEAM), and photo-acoustic microscopy (PAM) are compared. The techniques were evaluated on research samples of green and sintered monolithic silicon nitrides and silicon carbides in the form of modulus-of rupture bars containing deliberately introduced flaws. Strengths and limitations of the techniques are described with emphasis on statistics of detectability of flaws that constitute potential fracture origins.
KeywordsSilicon Nitride Acoustic Microscopy Scanning Acoustic Microscope Video Frame Rate Monolithic Ceramic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.New Structural Materials Technologies: Opportunities for the Use of Advanced Ceramics and Composites, OTA-TM-E-32, (Office of Technology Assessment, Washington, DC, 1986).Google Scholar
- 2.G. Y. Baaklini and D. J. Roth, J. Mater. Res. 1, 457 (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.W. A. Sanders and G. Y. Baaklini, Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc. 7 839 (1986). (NASA TM-87251).Google Scholar
- 4.D. J. Roth, S. J. Klima, J. E. Kiser, and G. Y., Baaklini, Mater. Eval. 4, 762 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.E. R. Generazio and D. R. Roth, Mater. Eval. 44, 863 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Nikoonahabad, Research Techniques in Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 7, R. S. Sharpe, ed., (Academic Press, London, 1984), pp. 217–257.Google Scholar
- 7.R. L. Thomas, J. J. Pouch, Y. H. Wong, L. D. Favro, P. K. Kuo, and A. Rosencwaig, J. Appl. Phys. 51, 1152 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Rosencwaig, Photoacoustics and Photoacoustic Spectroscopy, (John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1980).Google Scholar
- 9.L. J. Inglehart, R. L. Thomas, J. Schuldies, J. Nondestr. Eval. 1, 287 (1980).Google Scholar