Cytokines Interaction in Innate and Immunomodulator-Induced Radioprotection
Ionizing radiation is particularly damaging to lymphoid and hematopoietic tissues, leading to anemia and decreased resistance to opportunistic infections, often resulting in death (1). Enhancing host defenses to radiation by administration of immunostimulatory/inflammatory agents was shown several decades ago to also enhance survival (2,3). It is now known that virtually all of the pathophysiological effects elicited by such agents are mediated by cytokines, hormone-like polypeptides that transmit signals from one cell to another (4,5). These include pluripotent inflammatory cytokines, IL 1, TNF, LIF, and IL 6, hematopoietic growth factors (CSF’s), interferons, as well as immunosupressive TGFβ. IL 1 and TNF have emerged as particularly important mediators of host defenses. Thus, our earlier findings that these two cytokines can confer radioprotection (6,7) is consistent with their role in protecting the host from damaging environmental agents.
KeywordsHydrogen Peroxide Cage Leukemia Superoxide Anemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bond, V. P., Fliedner, T. M. and Archambeau, J.O. Mammalian Radiation Lethality, Academic Press, New York, 1965.Google Scholar
- 4.Vogel, S.N. and Hogan, M.M. In: Immunophysiology, Role of Cells and Cytokines in Immunity and Inflammation (Eds. J.J. Oppenheim and E.N. Shevach), Oxford University Press, 1990, p. 238.Google Scholar
- 5.Durum, S., Oppenheim, J.J. and Neta, R. In: Immunophysiology, Role of Cells and Cytokines in Immunity and Inflammation (Eds. J.J. Oppenheim and E. Shevach), Oxford University Press, 1990, p. 210.Google Scholar
- 13.Geiger, B., Galily, R. and Gery, 7:177, 1973.Google Scholar
- 22.Neta, R. et al. In: Progress in Immunology, (Eds. B. Cinader and R. G. Miller), Academic Press, vol. 6, 1986, p. 900.Google Scholar
- 25.Masuda, A., Longo, D., Kobayashi, Y. et al. FASEB J. 1:3087, 1988.Google Scholar
- 30.Hall, E.J. Radiobiology for the Radiologist. HarperGoogle Scholar
- 32.Szumiel, I. Adv. Rad. Biol. 9:261, 1979.Google Scholar