Disorders of Vascular Permeability: Pathophysiological and Clinical Implications
A number of peptides and eicosanoids do affect vascular reactivity and permeability (VASPE). Abnormalities in the distribution of fluid between vascular and interstitial volumes may, therefore, develop whenever changes in pre and/or post-capillary vascular tonus, as well as alterations in endothelial permeability, occur during morbid conditions. In this study, we describe changes in VASPE, using albumin bound Evans Blue extravasation (Prostaglandins 36:631, 1988), in selected tissues obtained from 4 groups of rats: control (CON), spontaneously hypertensive (SHR), galactose induced diabetic (DIA), and 5/6 nephrectomy uremic (URE) rats. In the 4-week old SHR, VASPE increased in the lung (L), the heart (H), the liver (L) and the kidney (K), by 86%, 66%, 46%, and 39%, respectively, compared to CON. In the DIA rat, VASPE increased in the K, the spleen (5), the pancreas (P), the L, and the H, by 111%, 88%, 80%, 76%, and 48%, but decreased in the skeletal muscle (M) by 79%. Finally, in the URE rat, VASPE increased in the L, the S, and the K, by 102%, 90% and 72%, but decreased again in the M by 58%. The heterogeneous pattern of VASPE abnormalities obtained in the SHR, DIA and URE, suggests different dysfunction of the microcirculation networks examined, and may explain the selective organ disturbances observed in these morbid conditions. Identification of mediators responsible for these abnormalities may eventually facilitate pharmacological therapeutic intervention.
KeywordsVascular Permeability Evans Blue Vascular Reactivity Endothelial Permeability Heterogeneous Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Plante, G.E. and Hebert, R.L. In: Gingkolides. Chemistry, Pharmacology and Clinical Perspectives (Eds. P. Braquet), J.R. Prous Science Publishers, Barcelona, 1988, pp:575–602.Google Scholar
- 7.Smith, O.A., Astley, C.A., Devito, J.L., Stein, J.M. and Walsh, K.E. Federation Proc. 39:2487–2494, 1980.Google Scholar
- 12.Bissonnette, M., Sirois, M.G., Sirois, P. Regoli, D. and Plante, G.E. J. Hypertension 8(Suppl.3):5262, 1990.Google Scholar
- 13.Plante, G.E., Bouffard, L. and Sirois, P. Medecine Sciences 6(Suppl.2):48A, 1990.Google Scholar
- 14.Lussier, Y.A., Prevost, C., Braquet, P. and Plante, G.E. Medecine Sciences 5(Suppl.3):47A, 1989.Google Scholar