An update of Scandinavian studies of osteosarcoma
The total population of all Scandinavian countries is about 22 million. These countries have a similar social structure, a modern medical service covering all inhabitants, and an effective registration system for all cancer patients. Based on these similarities, the Scandinavian Sarcoma Group (SSG) was founded in 1979 with the intention of improving the prognosis for patients with sarcoma. In the first study period 1982–1989, a nonrandomized trial based on Rosen’s T10 protocol  for patients with operable osteosarcoma was used. Preliminary results have been published , and the complete data are currently under analysis. The second study, started in April 1990 and is based on the results and experience obtained from the preceding protocol and recent reports from other centres. This article gives an update of both trials. In addition, the Finnish 10-year results of osteosarcoma treatment are reviewed .
KeywordsPreoperative Chemotherapy Preoperative Treatment Osteosarcoma Patient Preceding Protocol Osteosarcoma Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Solheim Ö, Alvegård TA, Elomaa I. Adjuvant chemotherapy for osteosarcoma. A preliminary report from the Scandinavian Sarcoma Group. Acta Oncol 28(Suppl 2):53–57, 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.Saeter G, Alvergård TA, Elomaa I, Solheim Ö. Treatment of osteosarcoma of the extremities with the T-10 protocol, with emphasis on the effects of preoperative chemotherapy with single agent high-dose methotrexate. A Scandinavian Sarcoma Group Study. Clin Oncol 9:1766–1775, 1991.Google Scholar
- 7.Winkler K. COSS-86. Kooperative osteosarkomstudie. Therapie-protokoll. Gesellschaft für pädiatrische Oncologic, Hamburg, 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.Scandinavian Sarcoma Group. The treatment of osteosarcoma. Trial protocol of SSG VIII, prepared by the Working Committee of the SSG. SSG Secretariat, Oncologic Center Lund, Sweden.Google Scholar
- 14.Mandahl N, Rydholm A. Cytogenetic abnormalities in tumors of bone and soft tissues. Acta Oncol 28(Suppl 2):69–73.Google Scholar
- 15.Karaharju E, Knuutila S, Elomaa I. Chromosome study in bone tumors. Acta Scand Traumt Orthoped 61:235, 1990.Google Scholar