Quality Control of Radioiodinated Products
Structural alterations of labeled proteins and separation of free ligand have been studied by physicochemical properties such as electrophoretic mobility; adsorption on hemoglobin-, dextran- , or plasma-coated charcoal;[2–4] cellulose powder, or silica;[5,6] and gel filtration. A rapid assessment of radioiodination damage to peptide hormones can be achieved by paper electrophoresis (altered molecules have decreased mobility in the electrical field). Iodinated follicle stimulating hormone is not adsorbed on hemoglobin coated charcoal. In paper electrophoresis, the smaller anions (iodide, iodate, periodate) migrate rapidly toward the anode and run into the buffer. Short term electrophoresis is sufficient to separate these anions (Fig. 18–1).
KeywordsHorseshoe Crab Metallic Silver Paper Electrophoresis Label Material Silver Bromide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Thorell, J. I. and Larson, S. M. , Eds., Radioimmunoassay and Related Techniques: Methodology and Clinical Applications, C. V. Mosby, St. Louis, 1978, 266.Google Scholar
- 4.Cooper, T. G., The Tools of Biochemistry, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1977, 136.Google Scholar
- 7.Hunter, W. M., Discussion, in Recent Research on Gonadotrophic Hormones, Bell, E. T. and Loraine, J. A., Eds., E. & S. Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1967, 91.Google Scholar
- 10.Roth, L. J., Autoradiography of diffusible substances,in Autoradiography of Diffusible Substances, Roth, L. J. and Stumpf, W. E., Eds., Academic Press, New York, 1969, 1.Google Scholar
- 11.Rogers, A. W., Techniques of Autoradiography, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, New York, 1973, chap. 3.Google Scholar
- 13.Mandel, T. E. and Santer, V. B., Ultrastructure of the lymphocyte surface, Immunology Series, 5, Pt. II, 1977, 511.Google Scholar
- 15.De Petris, S. and Raff, M. C, Distribution of immunoglobulin on the surface of mouse lymphoid cells as determined by immunoferritin electron microscopy. Antibody induced, temperature dependent redistribution and its implications for membrane structure, Eur J Immunol,. 2, 523, 1972.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar