Blood Vascular Casts of the Thyroid Gland in Normal and Experimental Conditions
The thyroid gland is generally covered by a capsule of connective tissue that is continuous with the interlobular and interfollicular connective tissue. However, in the small-sized thyroids of lower vertebrates and small-sized mammals, the lobular unit is not so distinct. In almost all the vertebrates, the thyroid gland consists of numerous ball-like structures called follicles, and of interfollicular connective tissues with blood capillaries. Each follicle is composed of numerous follicular epithelial cells arranged as a simple cuboidal epithelium to surround a lumen, and a few parafollicular cells located singly or in groups in the basal part of the follicular epithelium. Each follicular lumen surrounded by the follicular epithelium is a completely enclosed area, storing colloidal materials (thyroglobulin) secreted by the follicular epithelial cells.
KeywordsThyroid Gland Blood Capillary Follicular Epithelium Follicular Epithelial Cell Parafollicular Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Ohtani O, Murakami T. Peribiliary portal system in the rat liver as studied by the injection replica scanning electron microscope method. Scan Electron Microsc II: 241–244, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Kikuta A, Ohtsuka A, Ohtani O, Murakami T. Micro-vascularization of endocrine glands as studied by injection-replica scanning electron microscope method. In: Motta PM (ed.), Ultrastructure of Endocrine Cells and Tissues, Martinus Nijhoff, Norwell, MA pp 313–320, 1984.Google Scholar
- 12.Imada M, Kurosumi M, Fujita H. Three-dimensional imaging of blood vessels in thyroids from normal and levothyroxine sodium-treated rats.Google Scholar
- 13.Fujita H, Imada M. Three dimensional aspect on the functional morphology of the thyroid gland. In: Motta PM (ed.), Cells and Tissues. A Three-Dimensional Approach by Modern Techniques in Microscopy. Alan P. Liss, New York, pp 227–233, 1989.Google Scholar
- 15.Mikami S, Miyasaka S. Vascularization and its fine structure of the thyroid gland of Japanese quail, Coturnix coturnix japonica, Iwate Daigaku Nogakubu Hokoku 16: 81–91, 1982.Google Scholar