Effects of Taurine Deficiency on Immune Function in Mice
The role of the sulfur-containing amino acid, taurine, in immune function has received scant attention until recently. In the past few years reports have described its adjuvant effect for viral antigens in mice and human subjects (Kuriyama et al., 1988; Ishizaka et al., 1990), its reversal of age-related immune decline in mice (Nishio et al., 1990) and a decline in polymorphonuclear cell function in severely taurine-deficient cats (Schuller-Levis et al., 1990).
KeywordsTaurine Content Spleen Cell Suspension Taurine Deficiency Taurine Depletion Lymphocyte Subtype
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cunningham, AJ., Szenberg, A., 1968, Further improvements in the plaque technique for detecting single antibody-forming cells, Immunology 14:599–600.Google Scholar
- Huxtable, R.J., Laird, H.E., and Lippincott, S., 1979, The transport of taurine in the heart and rapid depletion of tissue taurine content by guanidinoethyl sulfonate, J. Phannacol. Exp. Ther. 211:465–471.Google Scholar
- Kongshavn, P.A.L. and Lapp, W.S., 1972, Immunosuppressive effect of male mouse submandibular gland extracts on plaque-forming cells in mice: abolition by orchiectomy, Immunology 22:227–230.Google Scholar
- Kuriyama, S., Tsujii, T., Ishizaka, S., Kikuchi, E., Kinoshita, K., Nishimura, K., Kitagami, K., Yoshikawa, M., and Matsumoto, M., 1988, Enhancing effects of oral adjuvants on anti-HBs response induced by hepatitis B vaccine, Clin. Exp. Immunl. 72:383–389.Google Scholar
- Nishio, S.-I., Negoro, S., Hosokawa, T., Hara, H., Tanaka, T., Deguchi, Y., Ling, J., Awata, N., Azuma, J., Aoike, A., Kawai, K., and Kishimoto, S., 1990, The effect of taurine on age-related immune decline in mice: the effect of taurine on T cell and B cell proliferative response under costimulation with ionomycin and phorbol myristate acetate, Mech. Age. Dev. 52:125–139.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schuller-Levis, G., Mehta, P.D., Rudelli, R., and Sturman, J.A., 1990, Immunologic consequences of taurine deficiency in cats, J. Leukocyte Biol. 47:321–331.Google Scholar