Analysis of Survival of Prostate Cancer Patients in Japan and the USA
The prognosis of U.S.A. patients with prostate cancer based on reports from the American College of Surgeons and Roswell Park Cancer Institute was compared with that of Japanese in Nagasaki and Gunma. There was more than a 10% difference in survival rate between the two countries. Several clinical parameters were analyzed to determine the basis for this difference. In general, stage distribution, metastatic sites, bone pain and alkaline phosphatase in the USA patients with Stage D disease were more severe than in the Japanese patients. Moreover the prostate cancer death rate in the USA was higher than that in Japan. However, only the distribution of pathological grade in the USA was better than that in Japan. From these results, it is difficult to conclude that prostate cancer in the USA is more aggressive than in Japan. The possibility of selection bias in these studies is discussed.
KeywordsAdenocarcinoma Oncol Stratification Parkin Kato
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Waterhouse J.A.H., Muir C.S., Shanmugaratnam K. and Powell J., Cancer incidence in five continents, IARC Sci. Pub., Vol. IV, 42 (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.Murphy G.P., Saroff J., Joiner J. and Gaeta J., Prostatic carcinoma, NY State J. of Med. 75:1663–1669 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.Slack N.H., Brady M.F. and Murphy G.P., Prostatic carcinoma, NY State J. of Med. 83:699–705 (1983).Google Scholar
- 9.Mettlin C., Natarajan N. and Murphy G.P., Recent patterns of care of prostate cancer patients in the United States: Results from the surveys of the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer, Int. Advances in Surgical Oncol. 5:277–321 (1982).Google Scholar
- 11.Imai K., Suzuki T., Hayashi M., Nakazawa Y., Nakata S., Yamanaka H., Kitaura K., Tomaru Y., Miki M., Kato N., Sato J., Takahashi H., Koya A., Kurihara H., Makino T., Ebihara., Shinozaki T., Kurosawa I., Matsushita I. and Takeuchi H., Prognostic factor for prostate cancer, Jpn I. Urol. 81(8):1217–1224 (1990).Google Scholar
- 12.Imai K., Onuki T., Okabe K., Kurita M., Kurokawa K., Yamanaka H. and Tomaru Y., Prognostic factor for the patients with bone metastasis of prostate cancer, proceeding of the first workshop on prostate cancer 1990:54–57 (1990).Google Scholar
- 14.Kumamoto Y., Tsukamoto T., Umehara T., et al, Clinical studies endocrine therapy for prostatic carcinoma (2): Prognosis of patients with prostatic carcinoma given endocrine therapy, and analyses on causes of death and side effect of endocrine therapy, Ada. Urol. Jpn., 36:285–293 (1990).Google Scholar
- 15.The Veterans Administration Cooperative Urological Research: Treatment and survival of patients with cancer of prostate, Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 124:1011–1017 (1969).Google Scholar