Cellular Mg++ Accumulation is Altered by Extracellular Na+ and Directly Affects Agonist-Induced Mobilization of Ca++ in Vascular Smooth Muscle
Effects of altered Na+, Ca++ and Mg++ concentrations on 45Ca and 28Mg distribution and binding as well as of changes in cellular Mg++ on mobilization of Ca++ by added norepinephrine (NE) were examined in the rabbit aortic media-intimal layer. Uptake of 45Ca at cellular high affinity sites was decreased by Mg++ much more than 28Mg uptake was altered by Ca++. Substitution of Na+ affects 45Ca uptake primarily at extracellular (La+++-accessible) binding sites. Muscles were pre-loaded with Mg++ by incubation in a low-Na+ solution (75% Na+ replaced isosmotically with sucrose) for 30 min followed by a 90 min exposure to a similar solution also containing 15 mM MgCl2. These tissues, upon examination in normal (154 mM) Na+-containing solution, indicated decreased retention of that cellular, high-affinity Ca++ fraction important for NE-induced contractile response. Accordingly, release of 45Ca from this site and associated tension responses to added NE were attenuated in these muscles. These results suggest that variations in extracellular Na+ concentration modulate binding and subsequent mobilization of activator Ca++ by agonists through alterations in cellular Mg++ content in vascular smooth muscle.
KeywordsVascular Smooth Muscle Contractile Response Muscle Strip 45Ca Uptake Incubation Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gunther, T., Vormann, J. and Forster, R., 1984, Functional compartmentation of intracellular magnesium, Magnesium Bull., 6:77–81.Google Scholar
- Karaki, H. and Weiss, G. B., 1980a, Effects of stimulatory agents on mobilization of high and low affinity site 45Ca in rabbit aortic smooth muscle, J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 213:450–455.Google Scholar
- Karaki, H. and Weiss, G. B., 1980b, Dissociation of varied actions of norepinephrine on 45Ca uptake and release at different sites in rabbit aortic smooth muscle, J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 215:363–368.Google Scholar
- Palaty, V., 1971, Distribution of magnesium in the arterial wall, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 218:353–368.Google Scholar
- Palaty, V., 1974, Regulation of cell magnesium in vascular smooth muscle, J. Physiol. (Lond.), 242:555–569.Google Scholar
- Weiss, G. B., 1977, Calcium and contractility in vascular smooth muscle, in: “Advances in General and Cellular Pharmacology,” T. Narahashi and C. P. Bianchi, eds., Vol. II, pp. 71–154, Plenum Publishing Corp., New York.Google Scholar
- Weiss, G. B., 1982b, Delineation of actions of calcium antagonists in vascular smooth muscle, in: “Ca++ entry blockers, adenosine and neurohumors,” G. F. Merrill and H. R. Weiss, eds., pp. 63–72, Urban and Schwarzenberg.Google Scholar