A New Theory of Non-Destructive Inspection Based on Fracture Mechanics and Fracture Statistics
Since ceramics is a typical brittle material, it is very important how to guarantee its strength reliability. In these years, Weibull’s statistics, the proof test and the non-destructive inspection have been used for the above purpose. In this work, the statistical theory of nondestructive inspection (NDI) is presented considering the distribution functions of the fracture-location and the flaw-size at fracture origin, which are derived from the statistical theory of fracture-location (OhFinnie’s theory) combined with competing risk theory and fracture mechanics. It is pointed out that one can select a screening-size only if the assumed stress field in N.D.I. is the same as the one in real loading. Furthermore, N.D.I. should be carried out within a definite region, called as a screening region, bordered by “N.D.I.-line” calculated from the joint cumulative distribution function.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hamanaka, J.,et al.,Trans.JSME.,52–481,A (1986),2187.Google Scholar
- Oh, H.L. and Finnie, I., Int.J.Fracture,6 (1970),287.Google Scholar
- Matsuo, Y. and Kitakami, K., Trans.JSME.,51–471,A(1985),2575.Google Scholar
- Matsuo, Y.,Kitakami, K. and Kimura, S., in Sintering ‘87, Vol.2, Proc. Int.Institute Sci. Sintering Symp.(Eds. Somiya, S. et al.),(1988), 802,Elsevier Appl.Sci.(The probability density function of flaw -orientation appeared in the reference is incorrect. It should be devided by the term “sin 0” like Eq.9 in this paper.)Google Scholar
- Matsuo, Y.,Trans.JSME,46–406,A(1980),605.Google Scholar
- Murata, H.,et al.,Trans.JSME,52–473,A(1986),27.Google Scholar
- Matsuo, Y.,in Ceramic Databook’86,(1987),134, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- Matsuo, Y., Kitakami, K. and Kimura, S., J.Cer.Soc.Japan,94 (1986),711.Google Scholar
- Kitakami, K., Matsuo, Y. and Kimura, S., ibid.,99–5(1991),361.Google Scholar
- Kitakami, K., Matsuo, Y. and Kimura, S., ibid.,99–6(1991),457.Google Scholar