Behavioral and Neuropathological Consequences of Chronic Exposure to Low Doses of the Dopaminergic Neurotoxin MPTP
This chapter will discuss the consequences of exposure to the neurotoxin MPTP in nonhuman primates, and particularly the consequences of chronic exposure to low doses of this toxin. Before such a discussion can proceed, some background material about MPTP, its effects on the central nervous system, and the clinical manifestations of these effects needs to be presented.
KeywordsDopamine Cage Dementia Serotonin Hydrochloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Diamond, A., 1990, Developmental time course in human and infant monkeys, and the neural bases of, inhibitory control in reaching, in: The Development and Neurol Bases of Higher Cognitive Functions Volume 608, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences (A. Diamond, ed.), The New York Academy of Sciences, New York, pp. 637–677.Google Scholar
- Forno, L.S., 1982, Pathology of Parkinson’s disease, in: Movements Disorders (C.D. Marsden and S. Fahn, eds.), Butterworth, London, pp. 25–40.Google Scholar
- Fomo, L.S., 1986, The Lewy body in Parkinson’s disease, in: Advances in Neurology, Volume 45 (M.D. Yahr and K.J. Bergmann, eds.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 35–50.Google Scholar
- Homykiewicz, O., and Kish, S.J., 1986, Biochemical pathophysiology of Parkinson’s disease, in: Advances in Neurology,Volume 45 (M.D. Yahr, and K.J. Bergmann, eds.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 19–34.Google Scholar
- Jellinger, K., 1986, Overview of morphological changes in Parkinson’s disease, in:Advances in Neurology, Volume 45 (M.D. Yahr, and K.J. Bergmann, eds.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 1–18.Google Scholar
- Johnston, C.W., 1986, The neuropsychological evaluation of attention deficit disorder, Psychiatr. Ann. 16:47–51.Google Scholar
- Mesulam, M.M., 1985, Principles of Behavioral Neurology,F.A. Davis, Philadelphia, p. 29.Google Scholar
- Roeltgen, M.G., Roeltgen, D.P., and Heilman, K.M., 1989, Unilateral motor impersistence and hemispatial neglect from a right striatal lesion, Neuropsychol. Neuropsychiatry Behay. Neurol. 2:125–135.Google Scholar
- Roeltgen, D.P., and Schneider, J.S., 1991, Chronic low-dose MPTP in non-human primates: A possible model for attention deficit disorder, J. Child Neurol. 6:582–589.Google Scholar
- Voeller, K.K.S., Alexander, A.W., Carter, R.L., and Heilman, K.M., 1989, Motor impersistence in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder decreases in response to treatment with methylphenidate, Neurology 39 (Suppl 1): 276.Google Scholar
- Wilson, J.S., and Wilson, J.A. 1986, Intracellular recordings in the caudate nucleus of normal and MPTP treated dogs, in: MPTP: A Neurotoxin Producing a Parkinsonian Syndrome (S.P. Markey, N. Castagnoli, A.J. Trevor, and I.J. Kopin, eds.), Academic Press, Orlando, pp. 695–699.Google Scholar