Quantum Transport in Small Structures
Nearly all of the transport that has been dealt with in treating devices has its conceptual basis in the Boltzmann transport equation. It is perhaps worthwhile at this point to actually summarize the various approximations and limitations that impact this equation. In general, transport processes are viewed on a coarse-grained time scale t ≫ τ c , τ m , etc., so that many completed, independent collisions occur in the passage of a carrier through the system. In addition, each collision is treated as an irreversible process which is completed prior to the next one, and is (a) local in space (collision spheres do not overlap in space), (b) local in time (instantaneous collisions), (c) independent of any driving fields or other scattering processes (no multiple scattering effects and no field acceleration during the collision), and (d) at low frequency.
KeywordsDensity Matrix Wigner Function Small Structure Applied Bias Wigner Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.For example, see The Physics of SiO 2 and Its Interfaces (S. T. Pantelides, ed.), Pergamon Press, New York (1978).Google Scholar
- 9.W. Porod and D. K. Ferry, Physica 134B, 137 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.T. L. L. G. Sollner, W. D. Goodhue, P. E. Tannenwald, C. D. Parker, and D. D. Peck, Appl. Phys. Lett. 43, 588 (1983); 45, 1319 (1984).Google Scholar
- 15.J. R. Barker, Physica 134B, 22 (1985).Google Scholar
- 16.U. Ravaioli, M. A. Osman, W. Pötz, N. Kluksdahl, and D. K. Ferry, Physica 134B, 36 (1985); N. C. Kluksdahl, A. M. Kriman, C. Ringhofer, and D. K. Ferry, Solid-State Electron. 31, 743 (1988); N. C. Kluksdahl, A. M. Kriman, and D. K. Ferry, Superlatt. Microstruct. 4, 127 (1988); N. C. Kluksdahl, A. M. Kriman, D. K. Ferry, and C. Ringhofer, Phys. Rev. B 39, 7720 (1989); N. C. Kluksdahl, A. M. Kriman, and D. K. Ferry, Solid-State Electron. 32, 1273 (1989).Google Scholar
- 18.W. Frensley, Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 2853 (1986); Solid-State Electron. 31, 739 (1988).Google Scholar
- 23.S. W. Lovesey, Condensed Matter Physics: Dynamic Correlations, Benjamin/Cummings, Reading, MA (1980).Google Scholar
- 24.D. N. Zubarev, Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics, Consultants Bureau, New York (1974).Google Scholar
- 30.W. Skocpol, in: Physics and Fabrication of Microstructures (M. Kelly and C. Weissbuch, eds.), Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1986).Google Scholar
- 32.J. R. Barker, in: Physics of Nonlinear Transport in Semiconductors (D. K. Ferry, J. R. Barker, and C. Jacobini, eds.), Springer Science+Business Media New York (1979).Google Scholar