Lateral Surface Superlattices
- 124 Downloads
As semiconductor technology continues to pursue the scaling down of integrated circuit dimensions into the submicron and ultrasubmicron regimes, many novel and interesting questions will emerge concerning the physics of charged particles in semiconductors. One of the more important topics to be considered is that of carrier confinement in structures that reduce the dimensionality of the system. Notable among these structures are MOS quantized inversion layers discussed in previous chapters and the heterojunction superlattice. In particular, the fabrication of the quantum well superlattice has been possible due to the advent of MBE and MOCVD technology, which we have discussed previously.
KeywordsLandau Level Inversion Layer Periodic Potential Negative Differential Conductivity Bloch Oscillation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. T. Bate, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 22, 407 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.A. C. Warren, D. A. Antoniadis, H. I. Smith, and J. Meingailis, in: IEEE Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, p. 866, IEEE Press, New York (1984). See also the work of M. Wassermeier, H. Pohlmann, and J. P. Kotthaus, in: 18th Int. Conf on the Physics of Semiconductors (O. Engstri5m, ed.), World Scientific Press, Singapore, Vol. 1, p. 441 (1987). This latter work clearly shows the presence of the minibands through measurements of the density of states in a high magnetic field.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Ya. Azbel, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. 46, 929 (1964) [transl., Son Phys. JETP 19, 634 (1964)].Google Scholar
- 10.D. Weiss, K. von Klitzing, K. Ploog, and G. Weimann, in: High Magnetic Fields in Semiconductor Physics II (G. Landwehr, ed.), pp. 357–365, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg (1988).Google Scholar
- 14.P. Beeton, E. S. Alves, M. Hennini, L. Eaves, P. C. Main, O. H. Hughes, G. A. Toombs, S. P. Beaumont, and C. D. W. Wilkinson, Proc. Symp. on New Phenomena in Mesoscopic Systems, Kona, Hawaii, Jpn. Soc. Promotion Sci., unpublished (1989); E. Paris, J. Ma, A. M. Kriman, D. K. Ferry, and E. Barbier, J. Phys. Cond. Matter, in press.Google Scholar
- 15.M. Ya. Azbel, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. 44, 980 (1963) [transl., Soy. Phys. JETP 17, 665 (1963)].Google Scholar
- 18.D. K. Ferry, G. Bernstein, R. Puechner, J. Ma, A. M. Kriman, R. Mezenner, W. P. Liu, G. N. Maracas, and R. Chamberlin, in: High Magnetic Fields in Semiconductor Physics II (G. Landwehr, ed.), pp. 344–352, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.J. Zak, Phys. Rev. 134, A1602, A1607 (1964).Google Scholar
- 23.R. F. Kazarinov and R. A. Sufis, Soy. Phys. Semicond. 5, 707 (1971).Google Scholar