Application of Multi-Medium Filtration for Water Preparation
Within a wider study of possible applications of some natural materials as filtration media, some physico-chemical properties of anthracite and quartz sand were investigated. The applicability of these materials was tested in the process of separation of suspended particles from kaoline suspensions (model system). They were examined under conditions of the single– and dual–medium open, fast, gravitational filtration. It was found that separation of suspended particles by filtration was almost complete. A significant increase was found in the active filtration period, as compared to classical sand filters.
KeywordsSuspended Particle Textural Property Quartz Sand Head Loss Floc Size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kuljskyi L.A., Ispoljzovanie adgezionnyh i adsorbtsionnyh protsessov dlya udaleniya iz vody vzvesei i mikroorganizmov, Kiev, Naukova dumka, 1973.Google Scholar
- Zhurba M.G., Ochistka vody na zernistyh filjtrah, Ljvov, Vishcha Shkola, 1980.Google Scholar
- Nikoladze GI., D.M.Mints, and A.A.Kastaljskii, Podgotovka vody dlya pidevogo i promyshlennogo vodosnabzheniya, Moskva, Vysshaya shkola, pp. 51–171, 1984.Google Scholar
- Beljankin D.S., B.V.Ivanov, and V.V.Lapin, Petrografija tekhnicheskogo kamnya, Izd. Akademii Nauk SSSR, Moskva, 1952.Google Scholar
- Logsdon G.S., V.C.Thurman, E.S.Fridt, and J.G.Stoecker, Evaluating sedimentation and various filter media for removal of giardian cysts, Journal AWWA, 12, 61–66, 1985.Google Scholar
- Craig K., Direct filtration: An Australian study, Jour. AWWA, 12, 56–61, 1985.Google Scholar
- Reed G.D., and P.C.Mery, Influence of floc size distribution on clarification. Jour. AWWA, 13, 75–80, 1985.Google Scholar
- Qureshi N., Comparative performance of dual-and mixed-media filters. Jour. AWWA, 9, 490–496, 1981.Google Scholar