The Development of Unisys Multichip Modules
Do mainframe computers really need multichip modules (MCMs)? Won’t advancements in silicon technology alone be sufficient for next generation computers? What are the challenges in designing MCMs? Can we design future computers with current packaging technology? These are some of the questions this chapter will answer.
KeywordsNickel Migration Welding Epoxy Income
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. S. Rappaport and S. Halevi, “The Computerless Computer Company,” Harvard Business Review, vol. 52, pp. 69–80, July/Aug. 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.“Should the U.S. Abandon Computer Manufacturing,” Harvard Business Review, vol. 52, pp. 140–160, Sept./Oct. 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Davidson, “The Coming of Age For MCM Packaging Technology,” IEEE Computer Packaging Workshop, (Lake Tahoe, CA), May 1991. No published proceedings.Google Scholar
- 4.H. W. Markstein, ed., “Multichip Modules Pursue Wafer Scale Performance,” Electronic Packaging & Production, vol. 31, pp. 40–44, Oct. 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.A. J. Blodgett and D. R. Barbour, “Thermal Conduction Module: A High Performance Multilayer Ceramic Package,” IBM J. Res. and Devel., vol. 26, pp. 3036, 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Blood, “ASIC Design Methodology For Multichip Modules,” Hybrid Circuit Technology, vol. 8, pp. 21–27, Dec. 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Nelson and C. Cheves, “Multichip Module For A Cost Driven Mainframe,” Proc. Internat. Electronic Packaging Soc. Conf., IEPS, (San Diego CA), pp. 230–240, Sept. 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.R. D. Rhodes, “Multichip Packages at Unisys - Cofired Ceramic to Thin Film,” NEPCON Proceedings, (Anaheim CA), vol. 1, pp. 477–485, Feb. 1991.Google Scholar
- 11.“Emerging Technologies, What The Experts Say,” Inside ISHM, vol. 18, pp. 5–12, Nov./Dec. 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.J. D. Mosley, ed.,“Multichip Modules, Lack of Standards Impedes Design Issues,” EDN, vol. 21, pp. 35–42, Jan. 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.K. O’Brien and T. Williams, eds., “A Changing Hybrid Marketplace,” Hybrid Circuit Technology, vol. 8, pp. 14–18, Dec. 1991.Google Scholar
- 14.“The MCM Market: It’s Anybody’s Guess,” Hybrid Circuit Technology, vol. 9, pp. 6–7, Jan. 1992.Google Scholar