Preoperative chemotherapy for soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities: The experience at the University of California, Los Angeles
The traditional approach to extremity sarcomas was surgical excision. This was associated with a local failure rate of approximately 95% , as tumors were simply ‘shelled out’ of their pseudocapsule. More radical muscle group and compartment excisions were then performed that reduced the local failure to approximately 40% . Even with amputation, local failure was approximately 35%. Without effective additional therapy to control microscopic residual disease, radical surgery alone resulted in both poor functional results and high recurrence rates.
KeywordsCatheter Oncol Sarcoma Doxorubicin Cyclophosphamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Gottlieb JA, Baker LH, O’Bryan RM, et al.: Adriamycin used alone and in combination for soft tissue and bony sarcomas. Cancer Chemother Rep, Part 3 6:371–282, 1975.Google Scholar
- 9.Lerner H, Amato D, Stevens C, Borden E, Enterline H: Leiomyosarcoma: The Eastern Cooperative Oncology group experience with 222 patients. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 24:142, 1983.Google Scholar
- 12.Santoro A, Rouesse J, Steward W, et al.: A randomized EORTC study in advanced soft tissue sarcomas (STS): ADM vs. ADM + IFX vs. CYVADIC. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 9:309, 1990.Google Scholar
- 13.Santoro A, Bonadonna G: Soft tissue and bone sarcomas. In: Pinedo HM, Longo DL, Chabner BA, eds. Cancer Chemotherapy and Biological Response Modifiers Annual 12. New York: Elsevier, 1991.Google Scholar
- 18.Eilber FR, Townsend CM, Weisenberger TH, et al.: A clinicopathologic study: Preoperative intraarterial adriamycin and radiation therapy for extremity soft tissue sarcomas. In: Management of Primary Soft Tissue Tumors: Proceedings of the Annual Clinical Conference on Cancer, MD Anderson Hospital. Chicago: Year Book Medical, 1977, pp 411–422.Google Scholar
- 20.Eilber FR, Guiliano AE, Huth J, Mirra J, Morton DL: Limb salvage for high grade soft tissue sarcomas of the extremity: Experience at the University of California, Los Angeles. Cancer Treat Symp 3:49–57, 1985.Google Scholar
- 21.Eilber FR, Mirra J, Eckardt J, Kern D: Intraarterial adriamycin, radiation therapy and surgical excision for extremity skeletal and soft tissue sarcomas. Dev Oncol 26:141–152, 1984.Google Scholar