Modelling of Long-Range, Long-Term Photochemical Oxidant Formation
Growing season averaged ozone concentrations are exceeding air quality guidelines, like the WHO growing season guideline of 30 ppb, throughout Europe. Consequently, it is of importance to investigate the formation of these ozone concentrations as a function of the precursor emissions in the atmospheric boundary layer over Europe. Using model calculations the ozone budget over Europe can be determined, including the influence of the hemispherical free tropospheric ozone on the ozone at ground level. In this way tools become available to determine the effectivity of proposed abatement strategies.
KeywordsBiomass Europe Ozone Hydrocarbon Turkey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Builtjes, P. J.H. and J. Hulshoff, Long period modelling of photochemical oxidants in Europe using the LOTOS-model. ECE/EMEP workshop Thoto-oxidant modelling of long-range transport in relation to abatement strategies’, Berlin, FRG, April 1991.Google Scholar
- Hout, K.D. v.d. e.a., NOX in the global troposphere: emissions, concentrations and model calculations. TNO report no. R 90/223, May 1990.Google Scholar
- Isaksen, I.S.A. and Hov, O., Calculation of trends in the tropospheric concentrations of O3, OH, CH4 and NOX. Tellus 39B, 271-285, 1987.Google Scholar
- Iversen, T., e.a., Comparison of three models for long term photochemical oxidants in Europe. EMEP/MSC-W, Rep. 3/91, August 1991.Google Scholar
- Meinl, e.a., PHOXA-Photochemical Oxidant and Acid Deposition Model Application. Summary Report, July 1989.Google Scholar
- Roemer, M.G.M. and V.d. Hout, K.D., Emissions of NMHCs and NOX and global ozone prediction. 19th I.T.M., Greece, September 1991.Google Scholar
- Stern, R.M., Long range transport models applied within the PHOXA-program. FU-Berlin, Rep. 10402569/02b, December 1988.Google Scholar
- Veldt, C. and Builtjes, P.J.H., Inventorying biogenic VOC-emissions in Europe. ECE/EMEP workshop ‘Photo-oxidant modelling of long-range transport in relation to abatement strategies’, Berlin, FRG, April 1991.Google Scholar