Postnatal Development of Auditory Nerve Projections to the Cochlear Nucleus in Monodelphis Domestica
The external world is represented in the central nervous system by a series of topographic maps or graphs (Changeux,’ 86; Udin and Fawcett,’ 88). These maps are composed of precisely ordered sets of neurons whose organization is a function of the distribution of sensory receptors in the skin, eyes, or ears. Understanding the development of these patterned relationships between the receptor organ and its central pathway is critical to the knowledge of sensory system ontogeny.
KeywordsAuditory Nerve Inferior Colliculus Basilar Membrane Cochlear Nucleus Auditory Nerve Fiber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brugge, J.F., 1983, Development of the lower brainstem auditory nuclei, in: “Development of Auditory and Vestibular Systems,” R. Romand, (eds.), Academic Press, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Changeux, J., 1986, Neuronal Man, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Kitzes, L.M., 1990, Development of auditory system physiology, in: “Development of Sensory Systems in Mammals,” J. Coleman, eds., John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Lim, DJ. and M. Anniko, 1985, Developmental morphology of the mouse inner ear, Acta Otolaryngol., 422(suppl.):1–69.Google Scholar
- Lorente de No, R., 1933, Anatomy of the eighth nerve: The central projections of the nerve endings of the internal ear, The Laryngoscope, 63:1–37.Google Scholar
- Morest, D.K., 1973, Auditory neurons of the brain stem, Adv. Oto-Rhino-Laryng., 20:337–356.Google Scholar
- Movshon, J.A. and Kiorpes, L., 1990, The role of experience in visual development, in: “Development of Sensory Systems in Mammals,” J. Coleman, (eds.), John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Rubel, E. and Parks, T.N., 1988, Organization and development of the avian brain-stem auditory system, in: “Auditory Function: Neurobiological Bases of Hearing,” G.M. Edelman, W.E. Gall, and W.M. Cowan, (eds.), John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Shatz, C.J., 1991, Role of neural function in fetal visual system development, Dis. Neurosci., 7:95–99.Google Scholar
- Sher, A.E., 1971, The embryonic and postnatal development of the inner ear of the mouse, Acta Otolaryngol., Suppl. 285:1–77.Google Scholar
- Willard, F.H., 1981, Neuroanatomical studies of the auditory brain stem, Doctorial Dissertation, University of Vermont, Collaege of Medicine, Burlington, VT.Google Scholar
- Willard, F.H. and Ryugo, D.K., 1983, Anatomy of the central auditory system, “The Auditory Psychobiology of the Mouse” J.F. Willott, (eds.), Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, IL, Springfield, IL.Google Scholar