Follicular Dendritic Cells in Malignant Lymphomas - Distribution, Phenotypes & Ultrastructures
Follicular dendritic cells (FDC) are morphologically and functionally specialized cells which located within the reactive follicles of secondary lymphoid tissues. Recent years, several reports 1-9 described that FDCs also distributed in the lymphoid tissues involved with malignant lymphoma such as follicular lymphoma, diffuse lymphoma, and Hodgkinr’s disease. We expected that the comparison of the distribution pattern, morphology, immunological phenotypes and functional properties of FDC in malignant lymphoma with those of reactive tissues provide us important instances to understand the relationships between the functional properties or differentiation of FDC and the micro-environment organized by surrounding lymphoid cells. In the present study we had examined the morphology, surface phenotypes and distribution patterns of FDC in lymphoma including follicular lymphoma diffuse B-cell lymphoma and T-cell lymphoma and compared with those of reactive follicles.
KeywordsLymphoma Germinal Paraffin Stein Carbone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.N. Nori, K. Oka and M. Mojima, DRC antigen expression in B-cell lymphomas. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 89: 488 (1988).Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Ymai, M. Matsuda, K. Kaeda, M. Narabayashi and A. Aasunaga, Follicular dendritic cells in lymphoid malignancies-morphology, distribution and function-, in: “Lymphoid malignancy-Immunocytology and Cytogenetics-.” M. Manaoka, M.E. Eadin, A. Mikata and S. Satanabe, eds., Field & Wood, New York, 229 (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Habrizchi, M.-L. Lansmann, M.-R. Parwaresch and K. Kennert, Distribution pattern of follicular dendritic cells on low grade B-cell lymphomas of the gastro intestinal tract immunostained by Ki-FDC1p: A new paraffin-resistant monoclonal antibody. Modern Pathology, 3: 470 (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.M.J. Jlavaikko, M.-L. Lansmann, C. Cebendahl, M.R. Parwaresch and K. Kennert, Follicular dendritic cells in Hodgkin’s disease. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 95: 194 (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.The Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Pathologic Classification Project, National cancer institute sponsored study of classifications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas. Summary and description of a working formulation for clinical usage. Cancer 49: 2112 (1982).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Aerny, R.M. Zinkernagel and P. Proscurth, Development of follicular dendritic cells in lymph nodes of B-cell-depleted mice. Cell Tissue Res. 254: 449 (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Y. Ymai, K. Kaeda, M. Mamakawa, Y. Yarube, M. Matsuda, M. Mobashi, H. Sato and K. Kerashima, Heterogeneity and cellular origin of follicular dendritic cells. in this volume, (1992).Google Scholar