Heterogeneity and Cellular Origin of Follicular Dendritic Cells
Follicular dendritic cells (FDC) are specialized cells which locate within the lymphoid follicles of secondary lymphoid tissues including lymph nodes, spleen, tonsil and mucosal associate lymphoid tissues (Peyet’s patches etc). Many studies1,2,3 have been accumulated to defined the morphological, immuno-phenotypical and functional features of FDC. Nevertheless, the nature of FDC is still unsettled, especially the cellular origin, kinetics, proliferating activity, maturation processes and functional diversity. In this paper, we focused on the two major subjects, the heterogeneity and cellular origin of FDC because these are thought to be most fundamental for FDC research and summarize our recent results.
KeywordsLymphoma Germinal Dition allO
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Imai, K. Terashima, M. Matsuda, M. Dobashi, K. Maeda and T. Kasajima, Reticulum cell and dendritic reticulum cell-Origin and function-Recent Adv. RES Res. 21: 51 (1983)Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Imai, M. Yamakawa, A. Masuda, T. Sato, and T. Kasajima, Function of the follicular dendritic cell in the germinal center of lymphoid follicles. Histol. Histopath. 1: 341 (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.M. Yamakawa and Y. Imai Complement activation in the follicular light zone of human lymphoid tissues. Immunology in press (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.L. H. P. M. Rademakers, H.-J. Schuurman, J.F. de Frankrijker and A. Van Ooyen Cellular composition of germinal centers in lymph nodes after HIV-1 infection: Evidence for an inadequate support of germinal center B lymphocytes by follicular dendritic cells. Clin. Immunol. Immunopathol. 62: 148 (1992)PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.K. Maeda, M. Matsuda and Y. Imai. Postnatal development of the immune complex retaining cells in the rat lymph nodes.-An immunofluorescent and electron microscopic study-. in preparation (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.K. Maeda, M. Matsuda and Y. Imai Postnatal development of murine follicular dendritic cells.-An immunoelectron microscopic study-. in preparation (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.K. Maeda, M. Matsuda, R. Nagashima, N. Degawa and Y. Imai Follicular dendritic cells in malignant lymphomas-Distribution, phenotypes & ultrastructures-. in this proceedings (1992)Google Scholar