The Vasopressin Antagonist Sk&F 105494 Inhibits Desmopressin-Stimulated Clotting Factor Release in Vivo
The antidiuretic (V2) agonist, desmopressin (dDAVP), stimulates release of the clotting factors von Willebrand factor (vWF) and factor VIIIc (FVIIIc) in humans. dDAVP (3.0 μg/kg) stimulated release of vWF and FVIIIc, and was associated with hypotension and tachycardia in the pentobarbital-anesthetized rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta). The V2 receptor antagonist, SK&F 105494 (30 μg/kg), had no effect on clotting factor release, blood pressure or heart rate, but prevented dDAVP stimulation of clotting factor release, hypotension, and tachycardia. The results support the hypothesis that dDAVP stimulation of clotting factor release and vasodilation are mediated by low-affinity, V2-like receptor mechanisms.
KeywordsCatheter Serotonin Arginine Prostaglandin Epinephrine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bichet, D. G., Arthus, M-F., and Lonergan, M., 1992, The hemodynamic and coagulant effects of dDAVP are specific extrarenal V2-receptor responses. (this volume).Google Scholar
- Brooks, D. P., Koster, P. F., Albrightson-Winslow, C. R., Stassen, F. L., Huffman, W. F., and Kinter, L. B.: SK&F 105494 is a potent antidiuretic hormone antagonist in the rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta). J. Pharmacol. Expl. Ther. 245: 211–215, 1988a.Google Scholar
- Cejka, J.: Enzyme immunoassay for factor VIII related antigen. Clin. Chem. 62: 706–712, 1982.Google Scholar
- Kinter, L. B., McConnell, I., Goodwin, B. I., Campbell, S., Huffman, W., Arthus, M-F., Lonergan, M. and Bichet, D. G.: Vasopresin antagonist inhibition of clotting factor release in the rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta). J. Pharmacol. Expl. Ther. 261: 462–469, 1992.Google Scholar
- Moore, M. L., Albrightson, C., Brickson, B., Bryan, H. G., Caldwell, N., Callahan, J. F., Foster, J., Kinter, L. B., Newlander, K. A., Schmidt, D. B., Sorenson, E., Stassen, F. L., Yim, N. C. F., and Huffman, W. F.: Dicarbavasopressin antagonist analogues exhibit reduced in vivo agonist activity. J. Med Chem 31: 1487–1489, 1988.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Murphy, D. J. and Joran, M. E., 1992, Respiratory and cardiovascular changes associated with toxic doses of a peptide antagonist of vasopressin in the rat. Fundamental Appl. Toxicol. 18: 307–313.Google Scholar
- Vilhardt, H. and Barth, T.: The release of Factor VIII and tissue plasminogen activator can not be blocked by specific antagonists to vasopressin. J. Receptor Res. 11: 239–245, 1991b.Google Scholar