Alteration in Lipid Peroxidation in Plant Cells after Accelerated Ion Irradiation
Superoxide dismutase activity (SOD), lipid peroxidation and the levels of adenylate metabolism were studied in cells of Nicotiana tabacum and root apex extracts of Pisum sativum irradiated with accelerated ions U-240, Institute for Nuclear Research, UAS, Kiev. Two groups of ions (protons and helium ions with energies 70 Mev and 100MeV, respectively) were used. The aim was to determine the possible relationship between the capacity of antioxidants, which detoxify potentially damaging forms of activated oxygen and the rate of lipid peroxidation by measuring the concentration of malondyaldehyde (MOA). Alteration in the levels of total antioxidants, lipid peroxidation product as well as the concentration of ATP and ADP in case proton and helium ion irradiation, occurred during the course of the radiational endogenous respnce.
KeywordsLipid Peroxidation Lipid Peroxidation Product Superoxide Dismutase Activity Damage Form Particle Irradiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baraboy, V.A. and Tchebotarev, E.E., 1986. The problem of peroxidation in biology, Radiobiology, 27, 591–597.Google Scholar
- Gerasimenko, I.V., Dvoretsky, A.I., 1989. Alteration of the late system energetic charge of the plant cell at ray pathology. In: Proceedings of the Ist All union radiobiological congress.-Pushchino, 5: 1023–1024.Google Scholar
- Kordyum, E.L., Sidorenko, P.G., Klimchuk, D.A., Martin, G.M. Zhadko, S.I., Vasilenko, A.I., and Sytnik, K.M., 1989. Prospects of studies in space phytobiology, in: Preprint of the 40th Congress of the IAF, Malaga, Spain, AF/ IAA-89: 578.Google Scholar
- McCord, J.M., Fridovich, I., 1969. Superoxide dismutase. An enzymatic function for erythrocuprein (hemocuprein), J. Biol. Chem., 44: 276–287.Google Scholar
- Midorikava, Y., Fujii, T., Terai, M., Omasa, K.,Nitta, K., 1989. A food/nutrient supply planfor lunar base CELLS, in: Preprint of the40th Congress of the IAF, Malaga, Spain IAF/IAA-89: 579.Google Scholar
- Rabinowitch, H.D., Sclan, D., Superoxidedismutase,a possible protective agent against sunscaldin tomatoes (Lucersicon escentum Mill.) planta, 148: 162-167.Google Scholar
- Seylanov, A.S., Konev, V.V., Popov, G.A., 1987. Effects of radiomodifiers on lipid peroxidation andstructural-functional state of mitochondria, Radiobiology, 27: 854–869.Google Scholar
- Swenberg, C.E., 1988. DNA and radioprotection, in: Terrestrial space radiation and its biological effects, ed.by McCormack, P., Swenberg, C.E., and Bücker, H., Plenum, New York, 456–67.Google Scholar
- Vasilenko, A.I., 1986. ATP content of the cultured cells of Haplopappus gracilis (Nutt) A. Grey underclinostating, Ukrainian J. Botany, 43: 84–85.Google Scholar