Information Systems Development Systems: What Gives?
Increasingly organisations are investing in the introduction of methodologies for Information Systems (is) development. the choices made often appear to be based on limited Weltanschauungen, and some organisations have been frustrated in terms of their expectations of return on their investment in methodologies and related CASE tools. in this paper the Weltanschauungen of various stakeholders are considered and some of the commonly held expectations of methodologies and CASE are analysed and questioned. in the final section, the impact of methodologies and CASE tools on the is development system is reviewed in the context of Forbes and Checkland’s criteria of systems efficiency, efficacy and effectiveness (Forbes & Checkland, 1987).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Checkland, P.B. and Scholes, J., 1990, “Soft Systems Methodology in Action”, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Downs, E., Claire, P. and Coe, I., 1988, “SSADM”, Prentice Hall, Hemel Hemsptead.Google Scholar
- Forbes, P. and Checkland, P.B., 1987, Monitoring and control in systems models, Internal Discussion Paper 3/87, Department of Systems and Information Management, University of Lancaster.Google Scholar
- Hirschheim, R.A., 1986, Participative Systems Design: User Experiences, Evaluation and Conclusions, Australian Computer J. Vol. 18, pp 166–172.Google Scholar
- Institute of Data Processing Management, 1986, “Fourth Generation Languages (Volume I)”, IDPM Publications, Sidcup, U.K.Google Scholar
- Martin, J. and Palmer, I., 1991, “Introduction to Information Engineering Methodology”, James Martin Co., Dublin.Google Scholar
- Meyer, B., 1988, “Object Oriented Software Construction”, Prentice Hall, Hemel Hempstead.Google Scholar
- Mumford, E., 1983, “Designing Human Systems for New Technology”, Manchester Business School.Google Scholar
- Taylor, F.W., 1911 Principles of scientific management, reprinted in: “Scientific Management”, Harper, New York, 1947.Google Scholar
- Quang, P.T. and Chartier-Kastler, C., 1991, “MERisE in Practice”, MacMillan Education, Basingstoke, U.K.Google Scholar
- Yourdon, E., 1990, “Modern Structured Analysis”, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar