This paper argues that the viable systems model can be used by managers to understand and control their organizations.
KeywordsSenior Management Chief Executive Officer Emergent Property Functional Manager System Analyst
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beer, S.A., 1981, “Brain of the Firm”, 2nd edition, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Beer, S.A., 1991, “Diagnosing the System for Organizations”, 2nd edition, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Coad, P. and Yourdon, E., 1990, “Object-Oriented Analysis”, Yourdon Press, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Coad, P. and Yourdon, E., 1991, “Object-Oriented Design”, Yourdon Press, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Checkland, P.B., 1981, “Systems Thinking, Systems Practice”, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Espejo, R. and Harden, R., 1989, “The Viable Systems Model: interpretations and applications of Stafford Beer’s VSM”, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Espejo, R. and Watt, J., 1988, Information Management, Organization and Managerial Effectiveness, Journal of Operational Research, 39, pp 7–14.Google Scholar
- Galbraith, J.R. and Kazanjian, R.K., 1986, “Strategy Implementation: Structures, System and Processes”, 2nd edition, West publishing Company, St. Paul, Minn.Google Scholar
- Goodhart, C.A.E., 1984, “Monetary Theory and Practice: The UK experience”, MacMillan, London.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, T., 1970, “The Structure of Scientific Revolutions”, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Morgan, G., 1989, “Creative Organization Theory: A resourcebook”, Sage Publications, London.Google Scholar
- Quin, a J., 1992, Designing Organizations, in: “Proceedings of the third International Conference on Information Systems Developers Workbench”, Sopot, Poland.Google Scholar
- Shave, M.J.R. and Bhaskar, K.N., 1982, “Computer Science applied to Business Systems”, Addison-Wesley, London.Google Scholar
- Stowell, F. and West, D., 1992, SSM as a vehicle for client-lead design of information systems: utilizing “ideal type” mode 2, Systemist, 14, 3, pp 99–106.Google Scholar
- Tustin, A., 1953, “The Mechanism of Economic Systems”, W. Heinemann, London.Google Scholar
- Waring, A., 1989, “Systems methods for managers: A practical guide”, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Weber, M., 1947, “The Theory of Social and Economic Organization”, Free Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Wheelen, T.L. and Hunger, J.D., 1992, “Strategic management and business policy”, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, MA.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1993