Towards the Case for More Deliberate Strategic is
“Systems thinking is traditionally practice driven where other disciplines are not”1. It is the purpose of this paper to deliver an account of major change driven by an IT department in one of Europe’s largest local authorities and hence help bridge Systems Thinking and Practice.
KeywordsStrategic Management Pilot Project System Thinking Corporate Strategy Strategic Event
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M.E. Porter, From Competitive advantage to Corporate Strategy, in: “Readings in Strategic Management”, D. Asch and C. Bowman, eds., p 234, MacMillan, London (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.J.B. Quinn, “Managing Strategic Change: Readings in Strategic Management”, p 33, MacMillan, London, (1989).Google Scholar
- 4.M.E. Porter, From Competitive advantage to Corporate Strategy, in: “Readings in Strategic Management”, D. Asch and C. Bowman, eds., p 234, MacMillan, London (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.T. Hill, “Swissair: Flying High with CASE”, SSADM Newsletter no. 8, Hyperion, Plymouth (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.J.G. Howell, Changing to an Integrated Structured Systems Development Environment (isSDE) — An Empirical Study of the Determining Key Success Factors, in: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Information Systems Developers Workbench, S. Wrycza, ed., Sopot, Poland (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.R.D. Galliers, a Scenario-based Approach to Strategic Information Systems Planning, in: “Systems Thinking in Europe”, p 77, Plenum, New York (1991).Google Scholar
- 8.D.E. Avison and G. Fitzgerald, “Information Systems Development, Methodologies Techniques and Tools”, pp 264–267, Blackwell, London, (1991).Google Scholar
- 9.E. Yourdon, “Managing the Structured Techniques”, p120, Yourdon Press, New York, (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Engledow and R.T. Lenz, Whatever happened to environment analysis, in: “Readings in Strategic Management”, D. Asch and C. Bowman, eds., MacMillan, London (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.C.P. Allen, “Effective Structured Techniques, from Strategy to CASE”, p 62, Prentice Hall, (1991).Google Scholar
- 12.C. Ashworth and M. Goodland, “SSADM — A Practical Approach”, p 38, McGraw-Hill, London (1990).Google Scholar